Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "What do you want to see for V17?" poll!
V17 poll
Outside major competitions, what would you like to see more of?
More AFK comps (iron gut, pinata, poker, table tennis, etc) [ 13 ] ** [15.66%]
More frequent small funcomps [ 44 ] ** [53.01%]
Longer funcomps in addition to existing ones (HL2DM 3v3 for example?) [ 26 ] ** [31.33%]
Would you play more games/find it easier to play games if:
There were more PA announcements [ 18 ] ** [21.69%]
There was more information on how to install each game on the EMS [ 11 ] ** [13.25%]
The Respawn Notifier tool was used more often [ 23 ] ** [27.71%]
There was more notice given [ 31 ] ** [37.35%]
What genre of game would you play at respawn?
RTS [ 33 ] ** [17.37%]
Racing [ 36 ] ** [18.95%]
FPS (DM or 1v1) [ 51 ] ** [26.84%]
FPS (Team based) [ 61 ] ** [32.11%]
Other (please tell us in your post) [ 9 ] ** [4.74%]
Total Votes: 83
Guests cannot vote 
oohms
post Apr 13 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #1
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

This poll is to gauge how to best improve handling of things outside the larger competitions, to make V17 more fun for you guys

If there is something that I haven't mentioned, or a poll option missing, reply and let us know.

Your feedback is much appreciated wink.gif
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
B3NN
post Apr 13 2010, 08:21 AM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

I really liked the idea of the Diablo 2 - Highest level in 60 minutes.
I didn't have the game isntalled so I didn't get a chance to enter, and to be honest, I never actually found out if it went ahead.. but it's a game everyone has played before and could make for an interesting comp.
From where I sat (in the side room, right near the back) we couldn't really hear announcements, so I was relying heavily on the notifier for competition information, but never really got anything useful, instead I was just asking my team mates, who were sitting closer to the speaker, what was happening with our comp.. The notifier is great, but it just doesn't get used enough.
Well.. I've said my bit tongue.gif Looking forward to V17!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Autofix
post Apr 13 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

More RTS Comps. I was really looking forward to playing Starcraft but it got to 5am and I couldn't stay awake for it. I woke up just as the winner was being announced sad.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
orbit
post Apr 13 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

In relation to having Diablo 2 exp. there is a mod for diablo 2 exp called medianXL that brings a whole bunch of new stuff to the game. It might be an idea to try getting a game of this going? it should be compatible with pvpgn and it is very easy to install (just copy a .patch file to the d2 dir), i dont know how easy it would be to orginise but i think it would be well worth it.
If you enjoyed D2 but you are abit bored with the game now you should try MedianXL, its awesome.
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seekz
post Apr 13 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

Imo at V17 you guys need to be more firm with your times.

I am unsure why competitions get delayed etc, but if it's because teams come up to you and say "Oh one of our players will be back in 15 mins" or something like that, and you allow them that extra 15, that's probably why.

If you have a time set in stone, firm & unmovable, it allows people to work their schedule around that, instead of expecting a competition to start at 4, it hits 5:00 then you get hungry and go to Macca's and return halfway through the competition smile.gif

Also, if you have a set time and someone asks you to wait for one of their players to get back from Macca's or something, just say bad luck you knew what time it started, play without him or forfeit.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Queen Gainer
post Apr 13 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #6
Possibly the world's worst CS player

Next event:

MORE GG PLZ K 8D

Nah, but really, I honestly don't see much point in RTS at a LAN. But then again, I'm pro-FPS, so I guess I'm being bias in that argument.

Apart from that, I would also like to see more Funcomps, since they always bring more casuals out to play (since they're all leeching mostly), it's just we need to have a firmer grasp on timetables. Like, I wanted to play in the girl's comp, but it was pushed back so many times that I kinda gave up on it.

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TechL
post Apr 13 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

Agreed with seekz. It's pretty annoying, too.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Apr 13 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Queen Gainer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:09 PM) *
MORE GG PLZ K 8D

Nah, but really, I honestly don't see much point in RTS at a LAN. But then again, I'm pro-FPS, so I guess I'm being bias in that argument.

Apart from that, I would also like to see more Funcomps, since they always bring more casuals out to play (since they're all leeching mostly), it's just we need to have a firmer grasp on timetables. Like, I wanted to play in the girl's comp, but it was pushed back so many times that I kinda gave up on it.

I know ;-;

we were meant t go at midnight, then we were going after tf2, then it all went horrible, then bleh sad.gif

next time i was thinking we could go after dinner, no matter what smile.gif

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Apr 13 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #9
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (seekz @ Apr 13 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Imo at V17 you guys need to be more firm with your times.

This one is top fo my list.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Wombie
post Apr 13 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

un related to the pol but i;d love to see the full stage back, kick the gophers and VIPS out of th eadmin area and have it JUST for admins again, se tup the gopher table outside the admin area liek you used to and have the prize presentations something fancy again smile.gif Make people WANT to win more!

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
B3NN
post Apr 13 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

I think respawn needs 2 things:
1) Coffee machine tongue.gif I'm going to complain about this until I get coffee! Energy drinks are great, but saturday night was really cold, i'm still trying to figure out why all the doors and windows stayed open until 8AM.. that really didn't make sense to me..

2) More chat options. The DC++ chat is ridiculous. I admit that it's entertaining, and when I get tired I just join in on the random conversations that happen. There does need to be a chat that is set aside purely for gaming purposes. Most people looking to set up a server for particular games get ignore or spammed out of screen before anyone gets a chance to reply. I think a gaming chat would help boost the amout of games being played and everyone would have a lot more fun. smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 13 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (B3NN @ Apr 13 2010, 01:47 PM) *
I think respawn needs 2 things:

2) More chat options. The DC++ chat is ridiculous. I admit that it's entertaining, and when I get tired I just join in on the random conversations that happen. There does need to be a chat that is set aside purely for gaming purposes. Most people looking to set up a server for particular games get ignore or spammed out of screen before anyone gets a chance to reply. I think a gaming chat would help boost the amout of games being played and everyone would have a lot more fun. smile.gif

Are u referring to RT chat, similar to wot DC++ offered, or more post based, like on here?

I'm pretty certain there are some great RT chat modules available on the net. Shouldn't b too hard to set up multiple "rooms" for different discussions.

I know IRC is still around, but not everyone knows about it. Maybe more advertisement of chat options is needed on the overhead projectors.

I'll have a look around, even if to satisfy my own curiousity.

--Shub0xx
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Apr 13 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #13
^_^

Next event:

IRC is perfect.

We have a java applet that runs in the browser and will automatically connect to a network and a channel. Running an IRC server is trivial.

I'mma put this on the list for next event.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 13 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Apr 13 2010, 02:15 PM) *
IRC is perfect.

We have a java applet that runs in the browser and will automatically connect to a network and a channel. Running an IRC server is trivial.

I'mma put this on the list for next event.

Sounds like a winner. If people r more than happy to use DC++ chat module, then using IRC is easy as. Different channels for different chat topics, and I think that would help with notifications as well. Global messages to all channels about an event starting at xx:xx time etc.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 13 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

Just wanted to put something out there, way different to what we have been discussing so far.

With v17 being in July, I can imagine it is going to be wet, windy and cold. So, with that in mind, I can see 2 options in regards to check-in. I'm sure there are other options, as well as things being worked on by the admin teams, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

1. Keep the existing check-in as it stands, with the exception that when they 1st come in, they get reservation signs 2 put where they want to sit, and then retrieve their gear from the car, limiting the chances of getting it too wet.

Or,

2. Deploy some sort of marquee system, that extends from the front of the building all the way up to the top of the hill.

While both options would work, I think the 1st option would help to reduce the number or cars at the front of the hall, and keep latrobe security happy.

--Shub0xx
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
schnappy
post Apr 13 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

More UT. Lots more UT. LOTS.

That is all.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Genome
post Apr 13 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

As I talked about in the other thread, some sort of integrated chat/game list system.
And also yeh comps need to start on time, people realise admins are too nice atm I think and abuse that fact. WE should have to work around the admins, not the other way around. It ends up affecting everyone unfairly when you wait for a comp, it doesn't happen, you wait some more, decide fk it, then you end up getting screwed over cos you were somewhere else/doing something else cbf by teh time the comp started. I think if you take a hard line on it (given the announcements are made clearly and with time to prepare), people will start being more punctual.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Apr 13 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

DC++ can actually be helpful if people are posting their servers/where the action is at.

I usually jump on GTA4 with other users and we have a blast for like 2/3hours but nobody was interested this LAN/nobody has the steam version/I wasn't at my computer a lot of the time.

More fun comps and spamming/advertising them whatever chat we use is a good idea, maybe even someone suggesting a good open source game and organising a game for it. Problem is some people don't even know about epic games like flat out 2. Crap, I didn't even know about it till I went to respawn and a friend said to enter the comp!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
schnappy
post Apr 13 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

IRC would be good - just make sure there is a fully configured, half arsed client on the FTP! IRC always shits me when it comes to setting it up, hence I don't really ever bother with it.

More UT would be nice. Also how about an approximate/proposed date for V17? I read July somewhere... would it be during the school holidays? And will there be more UT?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Apr 14 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #20
Player

Next event:

As a services operator on another network. I know bringing an IRCd online for the event would be far from hard and very low drain on resources. Because IRC uses barely bugger all traffic.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:12 AM