Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Respawn Lan v24 feedback thread
Zardoz
post May 8 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #21
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

QUOTE (Yurick @ May 1 2012, 02:53 AM) *
I found the large prizes for first, but complete void of prizes for second to be somewhat of a concern. I can understand it if the games were a FFA where it is difficult to tell who is second (for example the tron funcomp i can understand no second prize, even if it were a major comp), but where a clear second place is available, it seems somewhat odd to give a large cash prize to the winner, but nothing to the second place.

I agree with you - but there's only so much to go around.

If we were to offer a second prize for CS:S, what competition should we cancel or remove prizes from altogether so we can give you guys prizes for CS:S?

That's where I'm coming from here - we can't just magic up prizes from thin air.

But hey, we'd love to! We just need the money and/or product to do it!
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zardoz
post May 8 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #22
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

QUOTE (Chill_Penguin @ May 8 2012, 09:47 AM) *
Also apparently there was a zero hour tournament, which I would of loved but never even heard them announce it and saw nothing about it in these forums or anything so I missed it at the event. Its as though you gotta be one of the people helping run the event just to know everything that is going on, actually I doubt even they know everything that's happening.

also its the first LAN i've ever been to with no AoE. We should have a tourney of that or dune 2000 or something oldschool like that. Is it just me or is generals kinda boring?

I'm not personally sure about the zero hour but there was no "official" competition for this... we usually do announcements for those who are arranging games if we're asked to do so. If the person who ran this comp can give us a heads-up next time, we'll jump on the mic etc to get something happening.

I never got into generals but lots of other people love it! Bring back Dune 2000 I say ;-)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chill_Penguin
post May 9 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #23
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Zardoz @ May 8 2012, 10:51 AM) *
I never got into generals but lots of other people love it! Bring back Dune 2000 I say ;-)

Yes! Dune 2000 is the bomb. only problem is that it doesnt install on 64bit operating systems :'( so i guess im installing xp again biggrin.gif

--------------------
Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post May 9 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #24
Player

Next event:

I seem to remember that at some point it was suggested that there be an Old School version of Respawn where everyone brings their 486 or Pentium class computers

Thoughts?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post May 9 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #25
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

QUOTE (That Commander @ May 9 2012, 01:42 PM) *
I seem to remember that at some point it was suggested that there be an Old School version of Respawn where everyone brings their 486 or Pentium class computers

Thoughts?

Old school lan!

Would be awesome... altho we'd need a lot of tech support people to get everyone's boxes set up and working
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Yurick
post May 10 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #26
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Zardoz @ May 8 2012, 10:49 AM) *
QUOTE (Yurick @ May 1 2012, 02:53 AM) *
I found the large prizes for first, but complete void of prizes for second to be somewhat of a concern. I can understand it if the games were a FFA where it is difficult to tell who is second (for example the tron funcomp i can understand no second prize, even if it were a major comp), but where a clear second place is available, it seems somewhat odd to give a large cash prize to the winner, but nothing to the second place.

I agree with you - but there's only so much to go around.

If we were to offer a second prize for CS:S, what competition should we cancel or remove prizes from altogether so we can give you guys prizes for CS:S?

That's where I'm coming from here - we can't just magic up prizes from thin air.

But hey, we'd love to! We just need the money and/or product to do it!

I can understand that, I'm not asking you to give for example, an extra $100 on top of the $250 prize, but possibly even something like making the 1st prize $200 and second place $50, For the purposes of marketing it would still be a $250 prize pool, and is still quite easily distributed to the teams ($10 for each player in second place, $40 to each player in first place).

From my perspective, Even a prize as minor has a blow up hammer for each player for second place would have at least taken the hollow feeling away from coming second.

EDIT: I thought I should add that the last line does not necessarily represent how some of the more competitive players may feel about it, and is separate from my argument as a whole, and I have formatted it a little better to represent that.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post May 10 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #27
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (oohms @ May 9 2012, 09:09 PM) *
Old school lan!

Would be awesome... altho we'd need a lot of tech support people to get everyone's boxes set up and working

It should be fairly obvious to anyone attending that you bring a working machine to the LAN smile.gif (I know there are people who don't of course tongue.gif )

With DosBox, people with modern machines could still participate anyway, it apparently has IPX to TCP/IP routing built in: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Connectivity

I'd love to have a crack at C&C 95/Red Alert Multiplayer, and some Descent II as well

I remember even Descent: Freespace ran ok on my P200

And who could forget (remember?) NetWars smile.gif

Cheers
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:23 AM