Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rift at respawn
Prim
post Mar 1 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Hey guys,

Will there be a good enough connection to play Rift at respawn? I see all those wow players - if they have their own servers thats fine.

The 9 hour queue are a different thing altogether smile.gif

Cheers,
Primoz
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Guni
post Mar 2 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

Yeah ive been wondering about interwebs at respawn. Last time i saw some people with dongles on the net. Anyone point me in the right direction on how to approach this?

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Mar 2 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #3
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

To my knowledge, LaTrobe provides us with a single 768kb/s (96kB/s) connection. Divide that among say, 400 people... 0.24kB/s per person. Would you really want to play on that?

My advice is to do what Guni was saying, get a 3G modem, I personally would reconmend Telstra if you are after the best coverage and speed possible, however if you want to save a few dollars, go to any of the major phone providers, just make sure before you buy anything that you ask them to check the signal for the main places you are going to be doing it.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Guni
post Mar 3 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (priorax @ Mar 3 2011, 12:16 AM) *
To my knowledge, LaTrobe provides us with a single 768kb/s (96kB/s) connection. Divide that among say, 400 people... 0.24kB/s per person. Would you really want to play on that?

My advice is to do what Guni was saying, get a 3G modem, I personally would reconmend Telstra if you are after the best coverage and speed possible, however if you want to save a few dollars, go to any of the major phone providers, just make sure before you buy anything that you ask them to check the signal for the main places you are going to be doing it.

Priorax do you know if you have to get them on a plan or is it possible to get them as a pre paid, e.g like you have 3 gb to use and then you have to pay to top it up or w/e.

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Mar 3 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #5
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

From my knowledge the major carriers do both. Just don't forget that getting pre-paid means you need to pay for the modem upfront as well.

Quick links for you:
Telstra: http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/
Optus: http://www.optus.com.au/home/mobile-broadband/
Vodafone: http://shop.vodafone.com.au/all-broadbands?id=700022 (see link on left to change payment options)
3: http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentServer?c...d=1154931041257 (also, fuck I hate their site)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Mar 3 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Prepaid is offered by all, but you pay for the modem.

Plan is offered by all, but you are contracted to get the modem for free.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheTacoMan
post Mar 3 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

Man.... rift is SO gonna kill WoW.

Just like Warhammer Online did

Errr, I mean, just like how AION did

Errr, i mean, just like Age of Conan did

Errr, how about Tabula Rasa? FURY? Hellgate: London?

Well fuck me
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Prim
post Mar 4 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (TheTacoMan @ Mar 3 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Man.... rift is SO gonna kill WoW.

Just like Warhammer Online did

Errr, I mean, just like how AION did

Errr, i mean, just like Age of Conan did

Errr, how about Tabula Rasa? FURY? Hellgate: London?

Well fuck me

haha yeah i dont think it will either, but its a cool new waste of time smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Mar 4 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

If I may suggest an alternative

If you have a mobile phone with Telstra and it is pre-paid...

Recharge at least $20. Get a '$20 Browse Plus Pack' which will give you 700mb of data. Should be enough.

• If you have a Windows Mobile smart phone, plug it in and turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Zing.
  • If you have just a regular mobile, you might be able to setup dialup networking provided you can tell the mobile to appear as a modem (the options will be either something like data or usb drive).

That's for Testra, but really you should be able to find instructions on any carrier for any mobile phone that has 3G capability and you are using pre-paid. I managed to get this sort of working on OS/2 rolleyes.gif should be a breeze on Windows.

Cheers,
Brendon
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Mar 5 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #10
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

Android 2.2 also has Wireless Hotspot which is the same deal.

Note: Some phone providers do charge you for tethering, I know for a fact that Vodafone do, which means 3 probably do. When I say they charge you, I mean it doesn't count towards your download limit, for Vodafone it is $0.25 per MB or something stupid like that.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DArenberg
post Mar 6 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

I'm on three mobile and the data side I was only using at respawn and it gets X'y.

I bought a Virgin prepaid USB $49, 4 gig to start with including modem, unlocks after $80 prepaid load, Piggy backs on Optus, which claims 97% coverage http://www.virginmobile.com.au/broadband/p...bile-broadband/

I top it up when I need to use it, normally just for respawn but i also use it when traveling and as a back up on my router.

$20 gets you a gig for a month

Comes in handy when steam wants to update at Respawn.

Telstra is a rip off and the coverage issues hasn't been a factor for years every network has it's black spots.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:41 AM