Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v17 Feedback Thread
Sando
post Jul 4 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #1
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

Hey guys,

Thanks for another LAN. We all really enjoyed ourselves, and we hope you did too.

We appreciate your feedback on how we can improve, so we ask for a brief summary on your thoughts on how we can achieve a better LAN.

We will be conducting an online survey in the coming weeks, and this will also have the door prize attached to it, but in the mean time, let your thoughts flow.

Thanks, and see you on October 9-10!
-the Respawn Team
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seekz
post Jul 4 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

Does anyone else feel that the atmosphere isn't present anymore..?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VampyreCyrus
post Jul 4 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

This respawn was my first lan party in Melbourne and I know that I enjoyed myself.

Could have done without the cold air-con at times but other than that it was good.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TechL
post Jul 4 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

Nothing wrong for me, except the competitions being delayed and such. :/

I also feel like this respawn went way too quick.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 4 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

the comps are always goin to be hard to get goin on time. there is issues that cant always be forseen and there isnt enough time on the weekend to allow for that. I think the lan was good a lot more ppl stayed up later this time round which was good to see and i only saw a couple of kids in tears so who can complain
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Knuckles10
post Jul 4 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Was a great LAN, network was good, power was good. Food and drinks were well priced as usual.

I do have one complaint though. I got repeated threats of booked seat loss if not checked in by 2pm. I had the guy with the iPad come around twice saying if my friends arent here by 2pm then we are going to lose the seats. Both times I told him that they were all on their way (we all live about an hours drive away). Yet, 3 seats away from me there was 4 seats where not a single representative of the group was even there. For the record, they never showed.

When my friends arrived (just before 2) THEY got threatened at the door saying "WE WERE ABOUT TO GIVE YOUR SEAT TO THE NEXT PERSON THAT WALKED IN THE DOOR"

I understand the need for this considering the turn out from the last LAN (the one a few months ago). It wasnt even so much what was being said, it was the attitude about it, it was in the "threat zone" rather than "just for your information zone".
I recommend that you give up the seats of booked groups who dont have any representative there first.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jul 4 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #7
^_^

Next event:

Hey Knuckles,

I apologise for the confusion. Respawn's seat booking policy is that a pre-paid and booked seat is booked for the entire LAN.

Reserved seats for players who have not prepaid are forfeited at 2PM, and I dare say this is where the confusion arose - this was the first time we have implemented a prepay and seat reservation system.

-SirSquidness

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Deka
post Jul 5 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

can we get lights off at like 10pm people wana sleep and i get glare
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
I.esus
post Jul 5 2010, 05:22 AM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

^ I think lights off at 10pm is too early.

Anyway, my thoughts on v17... are 'boring'.
All I saw people playing was CoD, CS, TF2 and Blur. Yawn.
I asked a couple times on DC if anyone wanted to play some ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead, but never got a response. It seems the kiddies are too busy playing MSN group conversation to play games.

The CoD comp sucked... getting knocked out by two pro teams straight up is shit.
I wonder, in future, if there should be a serious CoD comp for the pro teams (with prizes) and a simultaneous CoD 'fun' comp for less serious, less experienced teams (with no, or a very minor prize)

So the lower teams can still have some fun without getting obliterated 13-0.
Otherwise, to be honest, there's no real point in the lesser teams even playing in the comp.

I had no interest in any of the funcomps that were run, either.
All boring and/or shit games (subjective, I know).

And the Quake 3 comp is WAY too late. A friend I go with wanted to play in it, but didn't want to sit around 'til 10am just to play. What happened to the original midnight slot for it?

I also had half a row of fuckwits behind me, constantly yelling at each other, yelling shit out to people making announcements, etc. If getting removed from the LAN wasn't a reality, at least one of them would probably be quite injured right now. I was getting quite angry. Though it was amusing joining the CoD server he was in and teamkilling him and hearing him yell, OH WHAT THE HELL THAT SAME GUY KILLED ME AGAIN!!!

As soon as we got there and started setting up, I knew they'd be an issue just from the way they were acting (coupled with half-standing in our way at the time).

Also, with the lower player count, I thought maybe there'd be more spacing down the aisles, but found this wasn't the case. There's still people squeezing through... and I had zero room to set up my steering wheel without blocking the aisle almost entirely to play some decent racing games that aren't that arcade rubbish everyone else was playing... so it was left in the car.

I think that's about all I can think of.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zardoz
post Jul 5 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #10
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

QUOTE (Deka @ Jul 5 2010, 01:57 AM) *
can we get lights off at like 10pm people wana sleep and i get glare

Would you like milk and cookies with that?

On a more serious note, we will look into the best time to do this. Unfortunately some of the competitions (eg, AFK) require venue lighting to actually happen.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Redback
post Jul 5 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

10pm is pretty early for sleeping

If it was up to me i'd set 2am-10am as a time for sleeping, with no PA ect during that time

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zardoz
post Jul 5 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #12
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

QUOTE (I.esus @ Jul 5 2010, 05:22 AM) *
^ I think lights off at 10pm is too early.

Anyway, my thoughts on v17... are 'boring'.
All I saw people playing was CoD, CS, TF2 and Blur. Yawn.
I asked a couple times on DC if anyone wanted to play some ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead, but never got a response. It seems the kiddies are too busy playing MSN group conversation to play games.

[snip]

I had no interest in any of the funcomps that were run, either.
All boring and/or shit games (subjective, I know).

And the Quake 3 comp is WAY too late. A friend I go with wanted to play in it, but didn't want to sit around 'til 10am just to play. What happened to the original midnight slot for it?

How can we make the event more 'interesting'? We can probably do an announcement over the mic if we want to get any ARMA II games together but I don't know how many other players play it - but we're happy to help organise games.

What would you prefer we play for the shorter games? Blur is a fairly new game, hardly 'yawn'.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EvilSeven
post Jul 5 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (I.esus @ Jul 5 2010, 05:22 AM) *
The CoD comp sucked... getting knocked out by two pro teams straight up is shit.
I wonder, in future, if there should be a serious CoD comp for the pro teams (with prizes) and a simultaneous CoD 'fun' comp for less serious, less experienced teams (with no, or a very minor prize)

That or organise the comp so that less experienced teams get matched together.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Jul 5 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #14
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

In regards to funcomps, we are always open to suggestions, but they should be really common or free to distribute.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
I.esus
post Jul 5 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Zardoz @ Jul 5 2010, 12:56 PM) *
How can we make the event more 'interesting'? We can probably do an announcement over the mic if we want to get any ARMA II games together but I don't know how many other players play it - but we're happy to help organise games.

What would you prefer we play for the shorter games? Blur is a fairly new game, hardly 'yawn'.

Some different games, I feel would be nice.
Like I said, I mentioned ARMA II in DC and nobody responded... though it's a fairly complex, time-consuming game and I guess I didn't really expect a response.

Though ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead is better (it's a standalone expansion), imo.

Some other games I think might be good to play just to change/spice things up a little (not neccessarily for comps or funcomps);
AvP (2010) Infestation.
DiRT 2 - Rally or Trailblazer.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus (Can be played without installing the single player game so Starforce isn't an issue) - though it's fairly deep and I'm not sure how many people would 'get it'.
Left 4 Dead (does LAN work in this? I don't remember) - the versus type mode.

I dunno, I can't think of anything else.

As for Blur, it's extremely yawn... new or not.
I don't like arcade racers, such as GRID/Blur/Split Second and so on... the only arcade-ish racing game I enjoy is DiRT 2... the rest are all sim racers, like iRacing, GTR2, RBR etc.

I'd mention playing some sim racers, but I sort of already did in my racing games thread... I can't imagine enough players have steering wheels to play them (as on full simulation settings, no driving assists... keyboard and mouse is impossible).

Am I the only person that's sick of playing the same old shit at Respawn? Or are there others? Maybe they're too lazy to post.

I don't know.

Anyway... opinions voiced!
(And make the Q3 comp earlier! tongue.gif)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jul 5 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (I.esus @ Jul 5 2010, 04:44 PM) *

Like I said, I mentioned ARMA II in DC and nobody responded... though it's a fairly complex, time-consuming game and I guess I didn't really expect a response.

Though ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead is better (it's a standalone expansion), imo.

Some other games I think might be good to play just to change/spice things up a little (not neccessarily for comps or funcomps);
AvP (2010) Infestation.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus (Can be played without installing the single player game so Starforce isn't an issue) - though it's fairly deep and I'm not sure how many people would 'get it'.

I don't like arcade racers, such as GRID/Blur/Split Second and so on... the only arcade-ish racing game I enjoy is DiRT 2... the rest are all sim racers, like iRacing, GTR2, RBR etc.

I'd mention playing some sim racers, but I sort of already did in my racing games thread... I can't imagine enough players have steering wheels to play them (as on full simulation settings, no driving assists... keyboard and mouse is impossible).

Am I the only person that's sick of playing the same old shit at Respawn? Or are there others? Maybe they're too lazy to post.

I don't know.

i here what your saying, unfortunatly most people at lans want games that are simple and easy to get into.

L4D2 scavange could be an option, however lack of time on saturday means ill need to push through some comps into sunday morning.

ill keep people informed smile.gif

-Dead_Man

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eDGe
post Jul 5 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

Im enjoying my Tt Keyboard, and was a good lan.

Players also should ban the vuvuzella imo, 2am isnt the time nor the place.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Goob
post Jul 5 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

Lan was good, speeds were good.
Didn't appreciate the attitude of some admins.
Also, since when are lans over run by 9 year olds?? Got a bit sick of kiddies constantly bumping into mine and my friends seats around me.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 5 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (I.esus @ Jul 5 2010, 04:44 PM) *

AvP (2010) Infestation.

I don't know.

i managed to u get a few random games going by asking on dc. L4d for example was one that we played for a while. i also found even walking around seeing what ppl are playing then joining in with that works just gotta get out there.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Guni
post Jul 5 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #20
Player

Next event:

Everything went well. The games running over time were annoying but that cant really be helped. The steam issued were quite annoying aswell but thats more valves fault, thankfully Sando saved me biggrin.gif.

Other than that, twas fun biggrin.gif

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:29 PM