2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The RTS Debate, everyone has there favourite
Glasseater
post Jul 14 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

all the talk in the v17 feedback got me thinking about good RTS games.
what is everyones favourite?
Mine has to be starcraft just because it is so balanced while each race is still quite unique.
let the debate begin
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jul 14 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #2
Hueg.

Next event:

1. Generals: zero hour
2. Red alert 2
3. Kanes wrath
4. TA
5. AOE2
6. Dark reign 2

Never got into blizzard RTS games.

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post Jul 14 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #3
Blame him.

Next event:

Starcraft is pretty good.
CnC3/Kane's Wraith is a staple for me.

Dark Reign used to be one of my favourites, but in retrospect it kind of tried to do too much at once.

Netstorm was one of the most brilliant RTSes I've ever played, but it's just plain too weird for most people.

TA has a weird combination of designs and features that were 10 years ahead of its time and a few bits that weren't.

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 14 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

the commander has always ruined the ta series for me ive never liked the concept of a unit that takes out your base when it dies. i really liked zero hour but for me again its those rts that have weapons that rape from such a large distance away which makes them annoying as hell at times. So many many rts go for that weapon that is just so overpowered.I guess thats why i lean more towards the blizzard rts and the aoe series
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Jul 14 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #5
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

Total Annihilation is easily the best for me... but cnc3 kw and red alert 2 are also good fun. The sup com games are fun, but feel like they are lacking something
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Jul 16 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Another vote for Total Annihilation.

I understand that the Commander in TA is meant to be the answer to the tank-rush tactic.

Also, if your Commander dies, if you have been playing effectively, really it should only take out a small portion of (one of) your base(s) tongue.gif

On the issue of super weapons, TA is littered with them. What I noticed amongst my friends is they'd go straight for the LRPC or nukes without building a proper offense or defense, and would thus usually get steamrolled. So to make games more interesting, we'd ban all long range super weapons.

An even more interesting strategy was to ban all units above level one. As a result, the number of units fighting was epic. The battle lasted several hours and kills on each side racked up in the thousands. biggrin.gif

Cheers
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rangers
post Jul 17 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

I vote Counter Strike :3
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 17 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Rangers @ Jul 17 2010, 02:19 PM) *
I vote Counter Strike :3

most noobs do
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheTacoMan
post Jul 18 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

Hmm, i'm a huge RTS fan, so this is a very hard choice for me...

1. Wacraft 3 - It'd be impossible not to list this as the best RTS. As well as having a solid base game, thousands of custom maps have been made for WC3. I still actively play WC3, both custom maps and the base RTS.
2. CnC3 - IMO, the best CnC game. It had a bit of balance issues at the start, but once they sorted those out, it was a really solid unique RTS. Then they ruined it with Kane's Wrath (which was still fun, but fucked up the balance). CnC3 was the last RTS i really got into competitively
3. Red Alert 3 - It may not be balanced, it may not have as big of a competitive leg as other RTS's like CnC and WC3, but dammit, it's just so ridiculous and fun! What other game features battle bears and man cannons? And lets not forget the cheesy cut scenes!
4. Total Annhilation - Supreme Commander, while being a valiant effort, somehow managed to not capture that feel that the original TA had. Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses, but i still remember dogfights between dozens of jets swarming across the map, while my solid WALL of turrets kept my base safe.
5. Age of Empires II - The third one was crap, but AoE II took all of the great things about AoE I and improved them!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheTacoMan
post Jul 18 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Glasseater @ Jul 14 2010, 07:33 PM) *
the commander has always ruined the ta series for me ive never liked the concept of a unit that takes out your base when it dies. i really liked zero hour but for me again its those rts that have weapons that rape from such a large distance away which makes them annoying as hell at times. So many many rts go for that weapon that is just so overpowered.I guess thats why i lean more towards the blizzard rts and the aoe series

The concept of the super weapon is designed around stopping a turtle. In CnC games it is particularly prevalent - If someone decides to turtle in their base past the initial rush stage, it becomes almost impossible to break a whole in their defence. You could argue that there are counters to this such as units that outrange defense structures (V3 rockets ect), but a good turtler can take care of those.

The super weapon has enough drawbacks (you have to tech up, it costs a lot of money AND it has a recharge time) to balance it in most of the games it exists in.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jul 19 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #11
Hueg.

Next event:

Flame Tank

the Turtle killer.

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 19 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (TheTacoMan @ Jul 18 2010, 09:23 PM) *

The concept of the super weapon is designed around stopping a turtle. In CnC games it is particularly prevalent - If someone decides to turtle in their base past the initial rush stage, it becomes almost impossible to break a whole in their defence. You could argue that there are counters to this such as units that outrange defense structures (V3 rockets ect), but a good turtler can take care of those.

The super weapon has enough drawbacks (you have to tech up, it costs a lot of money AND it has a recharge time) to balance it in most of the games it exists in.

i understand why super weapons were introduced but i still dont like them as the counter for the turtle. there is a reason most games with super weapons never became as popular for competitions as games such as wc3 and sc. I think resource limits are a more effective way of controlling the turtle.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jul 19 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #13
Hueg.

Next event:

QUOTE (Glasseater @ Jul 19 2010, 12:01 PM) *
QUOTE (TheTacoMan @ Jul 18 2010, 09:23 PM) *

i understand why super weapons were introduced but i still dont like them as the counter for the turtle. there is a reason most games with super weapons never became as popular for competitions as games such as wc3 and sc. I think resource limits are a more effective way of controlling the turtle.

Early strikes and sneak attacks are how i tackle turtles. I never build superweapons. Not only do they make you an instant target for various opponents, it doesnt suit how i play strategy games.

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jul 19 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #14
^_^

Next event:

there is a reason most games with super weapons never became as popular for competitions as games such as wc3 and sc.

I rarely play RTS games, so I could be wrong as to what is considered a 'super weapon', but would not a nuke count as one? (See: Starcraft 1+2, Terran)

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Deka
post Jul 19 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

AoE 2
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Jul 19 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

I suppose I would play as a 'turtle', but I don't go for super-weapons, I tend to go for overwhelming ground force biggrin.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 19 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jul 19 2010, 02:04 PM) *
there is a reason most games with super weapons never became as popular for competitions as games such as wc3 and sc.

I rarely play RTS games, so I could be wrong as to what is considered a 'super weapon', but would not a nuke count as one? (See: Starcraft 1+2, Terran)

for terran to nuke they have to be close to your base with a ghost and you can see where they are targeting and stop it
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Jul 20 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (R4N @ Jul 14 2010, 05:05 PM) *

CHALLENGE IS LAID DOWN!

I shall bring guns at dawn!
Edit: You may bring a partner to defeat

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 20 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jul 20 2010, 02:49 PM) *
QUOTE (R4N @ Jul 14 2010, 05:05 PM) *

CHALLENGE IS LAID DOWN!

I shall bring guns at dawn!
Edit: You may bring a partner to defeat

ill throw in a challenge for good old zero hour went through a big phase of playing that
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post Jul 20 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #20
Blame him.

Next event:

QUOTE (R4N @ Jul 19 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Early strikes and sneak attacks are how i tackle turtles. I never build superweapons. Not only do they make you an instant target for various opponents, it doesnt suit how i play strategy games.

It works in games/sides which have flame tanks, but I'd be curious to see you try that tactic as GDI or Scrin.

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:27 AM