2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lan Annalysis - CoD4 comp etc, Just a bit of a debate/info thread on CG
denied
post Aug 26 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Have a read, very interesting in how Respawn could attract more players to their main competitions for TF2, CSS, CoD4.

Thread: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread...espawn-LAN-v22/

Posts in which you should observe mostly: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861125#4861125
and: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861261#4861261
and also: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861741#4861741

Have a read, as CoD has been on a steady rise of competition and teams for the past 2 years now, could be worth while investing.

Enjoy :>
www.mindfreak-esports.com
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zantikk
post Aug 26 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

I support this.

With better prizes the amount teams will most definitely grow.

Even with the current prizes the cod4 comp attracts around 12 teams (on average 4 competitive + 8 casual teams).

At the moment the rest of the AusCOD community can't justify coming down to a BYOC comp (with $35 entry) to win 5x $50 headsets.

Have a look @ SGL Lan in Sydney. They manage to get the right sponsors to be able to give away 5x $250 graphic cards for their 1st prize cod4 comp.

Honestly, with better prizes the community will start taking this seriously and could possibly see 8+ competitive teams coming down to play.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
aNx
post Aug 26 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

i support this thread.

--------------------
www.mindfreak-esports.com // Proudly sponsored by www.razerzone.com & www.amd.com
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KripsOne
post Aug 26 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

I support this aswell

Last respawns prizes for cod 4 were a joke.

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kinkz
post Aug 26 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

I also support this thread.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hektik
post Aug 26 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

I support this thread.

--------------------
www.team-legacy.net // sponsored by www.razerzone.com
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
synic
post Aug 26 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

I support this thread.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Trolik
post Aug 26 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

I support this thread.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 26 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (denied @ Aug 26 2011, 04:57 PM) *
Have a read, very interesting in how Respawn could attract more players to their main competitions for TF2, CSS, CoD4.

Thread: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread...espawn-LAN-v22/

Posts in which you should observe mostly: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861125#4861125
and: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861261#4861261
and also: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/p4861741#4861741

Have a read, as CoD has been on a steady rise of competition and teams for the past 2 years now, could be worth while investing.

Enjoy :>
www.mindfreak-esports.com

The average price point for entry at other lans has been around the $30 mark. We're only at $35 so that we can continue to pay our rising expenses. Cutting that price would mean a service that rivals the current Melbourne Public transport system (****house) and nobody wants that!

$3800 (as you updated) is unsustainable per game based on your maths in your thread that you started on Cybergamer.
There are costs beyond the venue that you have not even considered in your post:

Cost of maintaining our power network (which I'm sure you'd agree is exceptionally robust thanks to Miniwalks and his team keeping it in top condition)
Cost of replacing items that get damaged/go missing etc (such as power boards, damaged fibre, damaged network cable, "borrowed network cables")
Cost of hire equipment (Tables/Networking Gear/Fridges/BBQ/Projector etc)
Cost of the venue hire and public liability insurance.
Upfront cost of food/drinks to sell to you guys throughout the event (any profit made on this gets funnelled back into the above)
Ongoing cost for the website.
Cost of maintaining the servers your games are hosted on and ensuring any software we use is license compliant.
The Free Midnight BBQ

So if we sacrifice all the stuff we do, such as repairs, buying new equipment, replacing old equipment, selling luke warm drinks and no food. Then sure we can move the budget to better prizes but we work with the money we have. We have and will remain a NON PROFIT event. No single admin/team leader/gopher profits from the event in any way. Infact the only thing the admins get is a free entry.

Please understand that there is more on the backend than just paying for the venue. I hope this gives you a bit more perspective and puts a more balanced part to this concern rather than "Respawn are being cheap and giving crap prizes" as many of your fellow gamers. We take this feedback very seriously and I've already shot an email to the admin group to see if there is any movement we can do from our current point to improve it to a point you guys are posting happy thoughts not sad thoughts.

Cheers

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Phazeuleh
post Aug 26 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

There's free bbq at midnight what????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Aug 26 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #11
^_^

Next event:

I support it too! The entire admin team would LOVE to give out thousands upon thousands of dollars in prizes.

However, a few things to note:

- Both price rises to the Respawn entry fee were because not raising prices was not viable.
- The costs of running Respawn are significantly more than the $3000 estimated in the thread.
- We don't pick the prizes sponsors give us. We fight for what we get already - we only got the prizes for CSS that we were promised last week. We run too often for it to be viable for sponsors to drop a few thousand dollars each on our event.
- Every single dollar that Respawn recevies goes to Respawn. Not a single cent of the entry fees goes to anything other than Respawn.

QUOTE (Zantikk)
Have a look @ SGL Lan in Sydney. They manage to get the right sponsors to be able to give away 5x $250 graphic cards for their 1st prize cod4 comp.

The SGL business model is far from profitable and we're not going down that path. They also have connections we don't. sad.gif

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Burnouts
post Aug 26 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

bring back cash prizes at least.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
*666*
post Aug 26 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

but im sure they would be able to contribute some osrt of cash prize with the products that get supplied for 1st and 2nd prizes.

like team skill of teams that are now going to Respawn is amazing compared to when i first attended a Respawn and half they player that do keep coming back a 8X + Respawners, so why not give back a little to the loyal community that does support Respawn and the CoD4 comp
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Aug 26 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #14
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (*666* @ Aug 26 2011, 07:17 PM) *
but im sure they would be able to contribute some osrt of cash prize with the products that get supplied for 1st and 2nd prizes.

You overestimate the budget size of sponsors for an event as small as Respawn.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 26 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Phazeuleh @ Aug 26 2011, 07:12 PM) *
There's free bbq at midnight what????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah, we've done it for as long as I've been there!!

Surely you've seen the stampede at midnight before poker? (don't get it confused for the redbull girl stampede of 2010)

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
denied
post Aug 26 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

Well, there's 3 games in which competitively major for Respawn.. Cod4 (the most popular @ respawn), CSS, TF2.

We once had an influx of cash prizes,(which was a nice $500 for first place) we had more sustainable teams when we had the prize flow. Since then you have lost loyal members of the community stop coming because of the prizes in which are supplied today.

Sponsors give you prizes to hand out for competitions, I actually don't know where the $500 + $250 prizes went to?

Would be happy with something like..
1st Place: $500 + 5 Tt eSports products
2nd Place: 5 Tt eSports products.

The competitive CoD4 teams would love it if the money they payed to enter would go into some sort of a prize pot. Even if you only took.. say.. 15-20 $ from the original $35 payed for entry.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
aNx
post Aug 26 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

I just dont understand how the first respawn I went to cash prize was $500, and now the entry fee is more.. and the prize is less.

It's quite confusing. Without the players the even would be nothing - clearly. Yet, where is the incentives for competitive gamers to come or even the casual gamer? Leeching alone is not worth the $35 ticket.

--------------------
www.mindfreak-esports.com // Proudly sponsored by www.razerzone.com & www.amd.com
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zantikk
post Aug 26 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (aNx @ Aug 26 2011, 09:09 PM) *
I just dont understand how the first respawn I went to cash prize was $500, and now the entry fee is more.. and the prize is less.

It's quite confusing. Without the players the even would be nothing - clearly. Yet, where is the incentives for competitive gamers to come or even the casual gamer? Leeching alone is not worth the $35 ticket.

I remember for 1 or 2 Respawns it went up to $750 then went back down... huh.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Phazeuleh
post Aug 26 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Aug 26 2011, 07:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Phazeuleh @ Aug 26 2011, 07:12 PM) *

Yeah, we've done it for as long as I've been there!!

Surely you've seen the stampede at midnight before poker? (don't get it confused for the redbull girl stampede of 2010)

:[[[[ cod4 usually doesn't finish till 4am maybe that's why I miss it sad.gif((
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Aug 26 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #20
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

I feel like reading that linked CyberGamer post that some of the general concencus is that, and please correct me if I am wrong, but you feel that re-introducing a cash prize for CoD4 will cause more competitive players to want to come.

My argument against this is one of, if you do it for one competition, you have to do it for all of them, largely because if say you gave CoD the prize what was suggested above of $500 + 5 TTesports products, that's $100 a player + a $60 keyboard (for example) each. Then again for CS:S and then prizes for comps such as TF2, Flatout 2, Quake 3, GRID, etc.

I personally feel that if we introduced a cash prize it would also detract from one of the things that I personally love about Respawn, it's a chance for casual gamers (such as myself) to play games in a competitive setting against players who they normally wouldn't play against, however if we were to get a sudden influx of competitive or even sponsored teams in, I happen to feel like there is a chance that this section of our community may become intimidated and not enter the competitions.

While I agree that it is a good concept, I personally do not feel it to be one that can be easily justified.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:47 AM