4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
orbit
post Mar 11 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #41
Player

Next event:

This does look interesting. I take it being an open source game Respawn can copy it to people? I might have to have a play of this one next Respawn.

Squid: Does it take many resources to run a server of this? If we get a server for minecraft we could possibly put this one on there too. Do the same sort of setup i was hoping for on the MC one with it running in a vm so we can just take it to respawn and run it there for everyone who uses it. Then put it back when the lan is over.
Or if the net code is truley efficiant we could just open the ports to run directly off the online server?
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Prim
post Mar 11 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #42
Player

Next event:

Hey orbit,

we would probably run it on lan only, and the server doesnt take many resources - effectively on most computers it wont even affect what you can run simultaneously with it.

anyone who joins the game can actually save the game and host the game from that point on after the lan. unfortionately in most cases the duration of the lan is sufficient for the entire lifespan of the game, after which point it's probably better to start a new server.

hopefully this helps ya a bit smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
orbit
post Mar 11 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #43
Player

Next event:

Ah ok so you cant have massive games with levels that took people hundreds of hours to make? Fair enough then. it wouldnt be worth setting up the way i was talking about anyway then tongue.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Mar 15 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #44
Player

Next event:

Actually, map sizes can be 2048x2048 tiles. Not psuedo-infinite like Minecraft, but big enough to host 20 or more players. Each tile is around 32 pixels I think, so that makes a map around 65536 pixels, which is about 34 times wider than my 1920x1080 monitor, or can fit 2071 of my monitor in surface area... Big enough tongue.gif

It is being proposed that Respawn run an OpenTTD server outside of Respawn Lan.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Mar 19 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #45
Player

Next event:

Hello

I have found out recently that I will probably not be attending Respawn due to another higher priority event occurring on the same day.

Thought I'd post some pictures of what I was thinking of attempting at this Respawn: Superfreighters, otherwise known as Mammoth Trains in OpenTTD. I was thinking of some sort of Intermodal Freight Terminal setup, with trucks and small trains transferring cargo to a giant, fast train (speed greater than 160KM/h). Instead I took a different less complicated approach.

I suppose I should get to the point (note: images will take ages as my upload is slow):

What you are looking at: several farms are surrounding a factory which accepts livestock and grain, and produces goods. Goods is the final unit of cargo that can be transported directly to towns. This is "sort of" intermodal in the sense lots of smaller trains are inolved. The station there is 40 tiles long, and the trains are comprised of 70 carriages and 10 locomotives. Each train is capable of holding 1750 units of cargo, which translates to 2310 tonnes (not including locomotive mass).

Here are the delivery stations, also 40 tiles long.

I chose 10 locomotives in order for the train acceleration and top speed to be acceptable. The OpenTTD Manual provides a page on calculating how Tractive Effort and Power is required to move a given amount of mass, but it is actually a fairly complicated affair to calculate. Tractive Effort (TE, in KiloNewtons) affects ability to move a mass, while power affects the speed at which it can move said mass. The practical reality is, if you try to move too much mass, the train will both accelerate slower and will never reach it's top speed, and could be even worse at hill climbing. The page shows you how to calculate how much power you'll need for a given speed for a given mass, but the problem with starting with the mass is that locomotives also end up making a significant portion of the total mass, which affects your calculations. So the answer I suppose is: keep adding locomotives until the acceleration is acceptable. You might have to make your stations bigger though!

Two of the of Superfreighters use the SH'40 Locomotive which is probably one of the best locos for Freight. It has a TE of 243KN and a Power of 5000HP which is better than the next two Electric Locomotives (the T.I.M and AsiaStar), even if it's Max TE is less. It means it has more power on tap to acheive its top speed.

So what is the performance like? As said, the SH'40 trains accelerate and reach their top speed as if they were only hauling 5 carriages. There's a good chance I've specified too many locomotives for the task. I've read people complaining Mammoth train performance is bad. The only reason is lack of power. The third train uses TIM locomotives, which serves the longer distance station in the second picture. While it does eventually reach its top speed, it certainly "feels" like it could use another pair of locomotives. This is because overall, each locomotive only has 3,500HP.

So, what can I conclude about the applicability of Mammoth Trains?

Operationally, Mammoth trains are a nightmare. Entering and exiting depots can take days. If you don't design the depot properly, you'll find your trains blocking the path of exiting trains unnecessarily long. Finding the room for a 40 tile long station is problematic; the land has to be made flat to accomodate it, and that often means destroying trees, which angers the various local authorities, and if you look, you'll see one of the station passes through three of them!

The second issue is the shear amount of time needed to fill them, thus why I chose a factory which I could connect several farms to feed it. At peak I've seen the factory produce nearly 2000 goods per month, but on average around 600-800. But this still isn't quick enough. That means it takes one about 2 to 3 months to fill. As there are 2 other train involved, that means each train runs about 3 times per year. Waiting for up to 4 months means their reliability is shot on departure, meaning they'll often breakdown before they get to their destination. This can be mitigated, but it had to be mentioned.

Having said all that, Mammoth trains certainly look cool. The two shorter distance trains generate $350,000 per trip, with a profit of around a 1,000,000 per year. The TIM powered longer distance train generates $650,000 per trip. But to put that into perspective, one of my 8 passenger and 2 mail carriage trains powered by the SH'125 200km/h diesel locomotive generates $100,000 per long distance trip, for an annual profit of around $500,000, at a 10th of the operating cost. All that means is I need to ramp up Goods production to make these trains worthwhile.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Mar 19 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #46
^_^

Next event:

If your factory is only producing 2k goods/month max then you've still got a lot of work to do ;D

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Prim
post Apr 16 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #47
Player

Next event:

Not to worry im still willing to host the game if there will b people playing wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Jul 2 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #48
Player

Next event:

Hello again, that time of the year, anyone interested in playing?

I wasn't at the last respawn so I hear it wasn't played at all.

The Victorian Government is taking action* so you spend less time playing other games and more time playing OpenTTD.

*I love Government catch phrases: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...mp;aql=&oq= but with quotes around the search term, since this forum annoyingly changes " to &quot;
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Jul 10 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #49
Player

Next event:

"Peter Sadler Transport" manages to win again using nothing but trucks, but did fail to meet the challenge of "2000 trucks". He had 255 of them, generating 2 million profit a year and a performance of 55%, a result that surprised both of us.

The State Transport Authority did build a very long haul railway that spanned nearly the entire 512x512 map, and cost $100 thousand per track, but still had a low performance of 41%. I suspect that is due to the "Inter-Urban" trains I had running to towns of population of 500.

Unfortunately the server only ran for a few hours before it was shut down so we didn't really get to do any longer term plans.

Also, the BR Class 47 Locomotive aka "Floss 47" had a reliability of 100% biggrin.gif Awesome.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jul 14 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #50
^_^

Next event:

Everything has a 100% reliability when you turn off breakdowns ;D

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Sep 18 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #51
Player

Next event:

Hello

I will be running the server for this game again. At the Last Respawn, this game was not on their FTP. I will make sure a copy is available at this lan.

The usual rules will be in effect:
Map size: 512x512
Climate: Temperate
Start Date: 1970 (Electrified Railways available)
Patches Enabled:
  • Vehicles Never Expire
  • Show Reserved Tracks for Path Based Signalling
  • 'Realistic' Vehicle Acceleration model.

The goal to win this game is the having the best Company Rating at 2050, or when the server is shut down. Note: If you are "Peter Sadler Transport", then you have the additional goal of 2000 trucks.

The State Transport Authority has the goal of linking every single town with a population over 500.

If you are interested in playing please feel free to ask any questions. I can run a practice server too, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

(100th post!)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Prim
post Sep 18 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #52
Player

Next event:

I would say you have the goal of linking EVERY town, even those that have 80 people, ofcourse you could just not stop there and call it south kensington.

How many people are interested in joining this time around?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Sep 20 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #53
Player

Next event:

About as many interested in running Victorian Intrastate rail freight (in other words, none)

The State Transport Authority is about providing a fair and equitable access to a world class public transport system. Even if it takes 4000 years to do it.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Sep 20 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #54
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (That Commander @ Sep 20 2011, 11:43 AM) *
The State Transport Authority is about providing a fair and equitable access to a world class public transport system. Even if it takes 4000 years to do it.

hahaha is the "STA" also known as Metro?

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Sep 21 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #55
Player

Next event:

Thankfully, no smile.gif

There used to be something called Metropolitan Transit Authority.

The STA was the predecessor to V/LINE (actually, V/LINE was the trading name of STA, before STA was dropped).

*cough* sorry, got a bit gunzel there.

Anyway, I am wondering how I am going to fit every other game in between OpenTTD sad.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
That Commander
post Sep 25 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #56
Player

Next event:

The State Transport Authority was unable to attend this Respawn, due to, uh, transport problems sad.gif

A Passenger in Melbourne's west is facing a cancellation due to a "faulty height control air valve".

The State Transport Authority vehicle was on its way to Respawn Lan from Bacchus Marsh on the Ballarat line when it came to a halt at about 12:30pm.

An STA spokeswoman said that the cancellation was unavoidable, but couldn't explain why delays of up to an hour were expected on the Williamstown and Werribee lines in both directions this morning. "Something's always going wrong with that line."

The knock-on effect is also causing delays of up to 20 minutes for Craigieburn services, while Sydenham line commuters should brace for delays of up to 10 minutes.

"State Transport Authority apologises,'' the spokeswoman said. "It's a complete dog's breakfast. An absolute dog's breakfast. And you know, chucking in a few more cans of Pow, will not in fact, make it a decent breakfast."

"There will be delays across the morning and we hope to have things back to normal for the afternoon.''

Another STA spokeswoman said the driver of the vehcile had checked the correct operation of the vehicle's air suspension that very morning, but a test drive in the afternoon revealed the height control air valve to be still faulty.

There was no indication during testing that there were to be any further problems.

"This is especially annoying, as the valve had enough sealing capability to destroy the air compressor due to compression lock," the spokeswoman said.

Services on the Geelong line are returning to normal after earlier delays.

"It’s an awful thing to happen," the spokeswoman said.

"I apologise unreservedly for this morning and we are looking into it."

The STA had to limp the vehicle back home.

So far, inexplicably, at least 10 Werribee morning services have been cancelled.

I hope at least it was played?

Note: the above quote is a play on this original article: http://www.vicsig.net/news/3277
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Sep 25 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #57
Player

Next event:

No it wasn't, but now I have something I can play on the plane back to NSW that means I won't cause the jet to come down by lanning in flight.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Sep 25 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #58
^_^

Next event:

I hear so many people say 'Man, I love that game! I should play it some time', but no one ever does sad.gif

(Myself included, but my excuse is that I don't get time at Respawn tongue.gif )

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Sep 25 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #59
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Sep 25 2011, 10:19 PM) *
I hear so many people say 'Man, I love that game! I should play it some time', but no one ever does sad.gif

(Myself included, but my excuse is that I don't get time at Respawn tongue.gif )

Yes but your excuse is valid Squid wink.gif mine however is 100% invalid.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Prim
post Sep 26 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #60
Player

Next event:

I couldn't get the necessary funds to start up a business and expend it to 4000 trucks (also no server was running).
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:50 PM