Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naval Fkn Combat new version 1.07
Obor
post Sep 30 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Having identified a number of gamebreaking bugs with the map I couldnt enjoy it anymore. A google search rewarded me with what I needed; a program to remove map protection. Not so straight forward though. After hours of playing around and being denied I finally finally worked out most of the bs. I can probably help out with breaking other protected maps, but this is not a tutorial. Well I don't know how to upload the map but feel free to tell me what you think.

Anyways, onto the bugs/fixes:
- The Yi Ling Dynasty was paying out their gold / no. of players on the team * 1+1/no. of players on the team
... double income for 1v1 and 120% income for 5v5.
- 388 speed ships were speed 338 and sail upgrades were as though it was 388 so they were slower than 270 speed ships in the end. Their speed has now been set at 375 and sail upgrades all reach speed 522 with no worthless ranks.
- The Pirate Xebec sold for 6250g when it could be bought repeatedly for 2500. Corrected to 1250.

The other changes made are not so much bugs as mechanics with room for improvement:
- When you kill an enemy ship, you get a bounty, but the enemy fleet also gains 150% of that bounty. This means that farming fleet ships helps your enemy. Removing this resulted in an unforgiving game where the winners kept winning. It was no fun at all, played once at V14. The compensation gold is there so that the losers dont fall behind and it is greater than the bounty to offset the exp gained.
- The same rules applied to hero kills. However, as hero kills are a mark of success and knock your enemy out of the game for a bit with no exp gain, I increased the compensation to 200% bounty. This method of determining the compensation caused more gain for those with higher lvl ships. Thus I changed it to a figure based on game time elapsed. The only problem I found was that players who got more kills early (me tongue.gif) and then died more later in the game ended up with more gold that the team who was losing already. So the time-based part of the hero death compensation is adjusted 5% for every point difference in the no. of team deaths.
- Since noone really cares about base killing vs K/D ratio, I decided to link them. The HQs have more hp to make it more of a struggle to start with. They also start with 250 armor (10 more than before) but the armor is raised by 10 when you get a hero kill and lowered by 10 when you die, 0 min, 500 max. 25 deaths difference should be very hard to obtain however since the team with the higher deaths with have a lot more gold than the other team. One unexpected thing that turned up, that I could remove with some effort but will not because I dont mind a bit of randomness is that whenever the HQ's armor is reduced, it is all removed for about 1.5 seconds.
- Since kills are more of a team effort and since the enemy are getting their compensation shared evenly, I decided to give 60% of the hero kill bounty to the fleet, to be shared with the whole team. The killer still gets over half.
- Due to repair crews being rediculously effective at higher armor, it has been suggested that crews above level 5 be removed, however I decided to create some variety and class roles by simply giving them an hour restocking time.
- Mages have had their building damage reduced to 10% from 50%. On the other hand, their cooldown has been reduced to 25 seconds (from 30).
- Freighters now drop their loot when they die. I havent tested to see whether they can pick it up again and I don't care.
- Pirate ships are slightly faster but still dead slow (210 from 203) but their hp has been increased by 33%. This puts them above the non-pirate versions and maintains the higher weapon limit, but with that speed I still wont be using one.
- Fleet ships are now a force to reckon with. They start doing 38% more damage that before, and when they upgrade (3 times at 15 minute intervals) their stats triple whereas they used to only double. They are also 30% resistant to siege now to prevent players with plenty of siege from being advantaged over others.
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sando
post Sep 30 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #2
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

If you zip/rar it up, you can upload the map to the forums.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Vortex Vandel
post Oct 1 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #3
Gopher

Next event:

Thanks again obor! I'm going to ask deadman to start a poll on war3. i.e should we have other war 3 comps such as some td games? (eletd v2.8,3 or 4 for example. who can either go more levels/kills or ronald kills.) and perhaps enfo games. I still find war3 quite fun to play even though it's quite old. war 3 isn't just all about dota.

If any one has any map/game style suggestions. please msg me on irc or the forums. Now it'll be time to search for decient balanced/non buggy enfo maps wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
crenn
post Oct 1 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

- Due to repair crews being ridiculously effective at higher armor, it has been suggested that crews above level 5 be removed, however I decided to create some variety and class roles by simply giving them an hour restocking time.

Out of all of the changes, this is the only one I disagree with. I think that the restocking time should be proportionate to the level/cost of the repairer. Aka Level 1, 1 minute. Level 2, 3 Minutes, Level 3, 6 Minutes, Level 4, 10 minutes, with a maximum of 30 minutes. And repair crews are more effective at higher armor because of the fact less damage is being done to the ship, it makes sense for it to work that way.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Obor
post Oct 2 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

My main concern with the repair crews is related to base killing, although that aside, I never liked the fact that 1 player cannot harm another alone once armour passes 300 and a reasonable amount of repair is obtained. Not to mention being untouchable by 2 enemies once u have the +512 armour. Even with 2 or 3 players it takes ages to take down a man o war at 300 armour. The cooldown is meant so that only 1 player in a team can be damage resistant to that extent. I know how much fun it is to be either able to mostly tank the attacks of 3 players or have so much damage that when i cruise in to help a tank whos at half hp and I dont get targetted because I'm on full hp, resulting in complete victory. On the other hand, I agree that the 19k repair shouldnt be so rare as one per hour, and certainly a 30 minute restock time probably isnt going to be met on anything higher than that so... oh wait, I'm agreeing with you after all. 12 minutes restock for the 19k repair and +6 minutes for each level above is my thinking. I dont want a cooldown on repairs below that because those are important for basic survival.
I just got another idea. Give me your opinion. If I made the 128 armour the highest one but made the bonuses stack, that would take up more item slots, reduce the waste in upgrade costs and even out the armour levels as people dont need to save up 40/80k before they can upgrade their ship. I still probably want some cooldowns on the high repair crews but not on the 19k one and smaller ones on the higher ones.

- Forgot mention that I buffed repair teams to being 10% better than crews.
- I tried to remove the memory leaks but the game was very strict on what it would allow me to rescript.

Obviously it needs to be edited now, but i cant upload it as a rar either :S
"Error Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is available"
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
crenn
post Oct 4 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

12 minute restock for the 19k repair? Sounds ok with me!

As for the armour, I don't quite understand, can you give a slightly better (maybe visual) demonstration?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Obor
post Oct 5 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

Hmm. I'll try to clarify without going in the visual pain in the arse direction wink.gif. say i have 120,000g. Normally you would buy the 80k (512) armor and have 40k left which you would spend on a repair crew or 2. With my idea, you cannot buy the 80k or 40k armor. You could obtain 512 armor by buying 4 of the 19k armor. This would take up 4 of your 6 inventory slots and severely limit what you can buy for repairs. On the other hand, you could choose to stop at 256 armor (2 slots used) or 384 armor (3 slots used) or even go crazy with 630 and 758 armor (5/6 slots used). It depends on how many slots you wish to sacrifice from being able to hold repair crews/teams and mages. It also makes it easier to upgrade because each upgrade is cheaper and you don't have to sell your previous one for half price.
When I consider that you can simply treat repair crews in the way we have treated armor so far (sell for half and buy a better one), it would seem that this new idea allows for greater survivability than before and more people with higher armor. Considering this, I think it would not be unfair to put the limit down to the 64 armor, allowing up to 384 armor. Personally I would stick to 256 or possibly 310 armor and leave a slot or 2 for repairs that I can just replace when I need an upgrade.

Another alternative (if I can do it - I'm not sure as I haven't checked) would be to make all except the 512 armor available and make armor items stack with each other, but not with itself. So the armor limit would be 256 + 128 + 64 +32 +16 + 8. Of course most people wouldnt bother with the lower 3 if they have the upper 3. I would do the same thing with repair crews.

A further adjustment to that (yes I'm going mad) could be to cap the repair crews at the 80k version and make armor not stack with the repair crew that costs twice as much: so you could have 256 armor and the 40k repair or you could have the 128 armor and the 80k repair + others of lower levels, following the restriction I just added.
Probably too confusing for normal people, although making the 80k repair the maximum is not a bad addition still.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Obor
post Oct 5 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

I suddenly decided I dont like the idea of the slow ships who have 66.7% more hp being able to become as fast as the fast ships at high level. Thus I am limiting the sail speed upgrade to allow them to reach a generous 418, 80% of 522.
I have also improved Bridge Shot (Corvette ability)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Preminepded
post Dec 20 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

Once the practice server is up and running, it should be easier to organise practice sessions.
The competition is starting in a few weeks, we have enough interested players and all it needs is someone to read the DC forums and post when the games are.
How difficult is that?

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Vortex Vandel
post Dec 30 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #10
Gopher

Next event:

QUOTE (Preminepded @ Dec 20 2009, 09:32 PM) *
Once the practice server is up and running, it should be easier to organise practice sessions.
The competition is starting in a few weeks, we have enough interested players and all it needs is someone to read the DC forums and post when the games are.
How difficult is that?

it's not. However if you want some official comps then I need to be less slack and ask deadman about it for prizes. I'm happy to organise some sort of announcement about the server(s) for war3 if any one is interested? running a bnet server at the lan is semi pointless though as lan game support works well enough but again if people want it and we talk about it before the lan (just so that squid/myself know what you might want/need to help you and if we decide to run one as well like we some times have in the past) then I don't see any issue with that.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Peeka
post Feb 17 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

What game is this for cause i cannot find anything about naval combat in google
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Feb 18 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Peeka @ Feb 18 2010, 12:40 AM) *
What game is this for cause i cannot find anything about naval combat in google

Naval Combat is a map/play type for Warcraft 3 (frozen throne i think?) smile.gif

its incredibly fun smile.gif

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:10 AM