7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v16 Comments etc, yepyepyep!
Ultimate_Sacrifice
post Apr 12 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #41
Player

Next event:

OK first things first, this is the best LAN in Australia.

Ok now the yelling abuse across the hall is not uncalled for but still probably should not happen. A lot of teasing and name calling happens online, so when it comes to real life of course there is going to be some *pay back*.

As for the shout casting i think it is a good thing to have that makes games slightly more interesting for a someone that knows the game and a lot more for people that done. I think that the showing it like you do the TV other the intranet would be a awesome idea biggrin.gif.

Gamers vs Leechers. As for this a few people i talk to every LAN *not mentioning names there just 2 of the biggest file sharers there* are playing games all the time. They set up make a list to DL and let people leech. There always playing something like CSS or any kind of game for that matter. Proving you dont just need to sit there listening to music or watching movies but you have to enjoy games for that...

As for the big gaming fans Dead_man, 666 and myself are all working together on something big. Lets just say very big biggrin.gif we will keep you posted gamers.
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Traffic Control
post Apr 12 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #42
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Apr 12 2010, 04:54 PM) *
QUOTE (wolfmother @ Apr 12 2010, 04:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Apr 12 2010, 02:56 PM) *
Unless there was other comments made while I was out of the hall, I think this comment relates to the announcement made by Zardoz about someone having a virus on their system, and when he finds it he'll toss it outside. Whether he meant it or not, I do not know, but I found myself concerned and in turn running virus scanners on my system to make sure it wasn't me.

Just to put this into perspective, the virus in question (Conficker) is capable of bringing down the entire network even with only one or two infected computers, and there's no easy way to work out whose computer it is. Of course he's not going to destroy someone else's property that's worth thousands of dollars, but considering the fact that this virus has caused problems at the last 4 events and that it's entirely possible to literally totally ruin the entire event as a result of nothing but one person's LAZINESS, I think he was actually quite civil about it.

Oooh, had I known it was that nasty bugger, I'd've understood completely. I've had issues with Conflicker in the past, with it bringing down corporate networks that I've been working on, so I understand his concern.

The CS competition was the best thing there, you are a moron if you hate gamestah volunteering for it.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Apr 12 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #43
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (mojo @ Apr 12 2010, 06:11 PM) *
Sharks, the system is far from perfect. I've been lanning since Steam before steam was introduced.. I don't think I've been to a lan where there's been no problems with steam... It should work a lot better than it does.

We have three options in regards to Steam.

• Block it entirely
  • Allow authentication, no downloads
  • Allow all Steam ports

Options 1 and 3 are not viable. 1, because Steam is horrible. 3, because we just don't have the badnwidth for everyone to forget about (or just abuse) those Steam downloads.

We use option 2, because then people can actually log on in a reasonable amount of time. However, if your Steam client isn't up to date, or as with the beta it decides it wants to update all of the time, you get issues. Which is why we always remind you to update Steam before you come.

QUOTE (Ultimate Sacrifice)
Gamers vs Leechers. As for this a few people i talk to every LAN *not mentioning names there just 2 of the biggest file sharers there* are playing games all the time.

And this is why the rest of the LAN sit there on DC++ - because they have huge shares. The sharers are playing games because they've already got everything they want, or know what else they want. The leechers spend an hour going through each list of the big sharers looking for stuff, then wait for it to finish, then go home, maybe playing Tron in the middle.

QUOTE (Andrewzor)
I for one come to Respawn to file share and play small games like Tron

This is entirely the point of the FunComps - regular (ish) small games that are easy to pick up, to encourage people such as yourself to get in a game and play.

We realise not everyone wants to play in the major comps, but it really is disappointing for us when no one wants to play, even in the small fun games that are free, legal to share and awesome fun.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Alioth
post Apr 12 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #44
Player

Next event:

I wanted me some Plain Sight LAN action but it was not too be. Too late of a release for it to get recognised sad.gif
Glorious game though.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Apr 12 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #45
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (Alioth @ Apr 12 2010, 09:09 PM) *
I wanted me some Plain Sight LAN action but it was not too be. Too late of a release for it to get recognised sad.gif
Glorious game though.

Me too, dude. Me too.

Pity I only got it the night before, and didn't get a chance to analyse it and figure out the ports we need - there's no documentation on their site about it sad.gif

Next event!

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Alioth
post Apr 12 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #46
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Apr 12 2010, 09:28 PM) *
QUOTE (Alioth @ Apr 12 2010, 09:09 PM) *
Glorious game though.

Me too, dude. Me too.

Pity I only got it the night before, and didn't get a chance to analyse it and figure out the ports we need - there's no documentation on their site about it sad.gif

Next event!

I knew you'd have wanted to play it too. Can't go past suicidal ninja robots (unless it's a suicidal ninja robot wearing a Godzilla hat and has a flaming sword)!

I await eagerly for the next event then.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Apr 12 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #47
Player

Next event:

I do apologize for the un-organisation of the chick comp, and ending up having it not run due to personal circumstances.

it will definately be better done next time smile.gif

many apologies.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chard
post Apr 12 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #48
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Tank @ Apr 12 2010, 09:37 PM) *
I do apologize for the un-organisation of the chick comp, and ending up having it not run due to personal circumstances.

many apologies.

Main reason why I drove 5hours to the event!

Anyway, Respawn was a very good experience and I enjoyed myself and shall be looking forward to it's future events smile.gif
Kudos to the Respawn Team on the event.

P.S.
PLEASE HAVE THE CHICK COMP NEXT TIME FOR CHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Apr 12 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #49
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Tank @ Apr 12 2010, 09:37 PM) *

many apologies.

Knowing you actually came around asking the girl players with us to join. You should be happy that you do so much for respawn.

p.s thanks for my warm hoodie :3
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Alioth
post Apr 12 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #50
Player

Next event:

Would just like to thank Tank for all the effort put in to the Respawn apparel line. Lab coat and hoodie are awesome. Super big think you for finding them in my size!

P.S. I finally remembered something to grumble about. AIR CONDITIONING AT 4AM. WTF?!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
schnappy
post Apr 12 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #51
Player

Next event:

I didn't play many games because I couldn't! All that was people played a lot was CSS and COD4 - two pretty mediocore games. There were 2 10 minute games of UT99 and UT2k4 - the two best games played. If all you can do is offer 'fun comps' to get people interested, make them last longer please! HL2DM was something else I was interested in, but the 'fun comp' was overly populated and the worst map chosen for a lot of people... server ran like crap! Split it up ala Flatout 2.

Needs more sourceforts too.

Overall I had a blast, will get to V17 if I can.

Regarding players vs leechers - I don't mind leechers (Would be hypocritic if I did), but the guys that come with their laptops and HDD's - with no intention to have fun at all... ho hum.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seekz
post Apr 12 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #52
Player

Next event:

This is just a small rant and I in no way mean to say this to offend anyone in anyway and if it does offend you please accept my early apologies.

I had a situation where one of the larger players at the event said some attempted offensive comments to me when I kindly asked him to move in with his chair for a second so I could get past. Now I know there's nothing that can be done by any staff or admins so I'm just directing this at anyone that could be reading, and I really try to word this without being offensive:

If you are one of the larger players that come to the event, please, for god's sake, if you are going to seat yourself near a wall, EXPECT other people to want to get past ! People HAVE to go to the toilet and you need to take 2 seconds out of your LAN'ing just to move in so someone can get past. They do it for you I'm sure, and without being rude about it either. I understand that it's probably an inconvenience and hard for you to move in because of the tight space confinements, but shit, expect it if you are seating near a wall.

Other than that, great LAN smile.gif

That's all thnx xoxoxo

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Goob
post Apr 12 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #53
Player

Next event:

I just came to leech, which as always was pretty good.
So much for seeing 500 plus people though, the whole signing up, confirming and not turning up thing is not cool.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eskymobob
post Apr 13 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #54
Player

Next event:

Would just like to say thanks to the power guys!

While there was only two/three blips during the event it looked like it was stable throughout the whole event!

-esky
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ohcool
post Apr 13 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #55
Player

Next event:

Just coming to leech is so not cool too
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mojo
post Apr 13 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #56
Player

Next event:

Funnily enough when lanning was big 5 odd years ago- it was the exact same thing with lans and file sharing.. I'm mainly talking about Shafted- For those who don't know, was also run in Union hall.
It came to a point that file sharing wasn't allowed, this came mainly because of a few raids on lan parties in various locations because of the mass illegal file sharing.
That didn't mean file sharing was stopped.. it more just meant everyone had their DC minimized ;P
Its always been there and always will..
Lan parties obviously happened because of dial connections being insufficient to play games multiplayer. With broadband connections everywhere- there is more of an incentive to come for the leeching with all the caps and slow speeds of Australia's internet.
But gaming is still fun at lans biggrin.gif
For me, things like more dedicated servers ready to go and perhaps more limited internet to allow particular steam games to work better to create a hassle free gaming experience!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Apr 13 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #57
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

Hey guys!!

We want you all to have as much fun as possible

So please provide some feedback in this poll, and we'll try and plan activities accordingly

http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=1294
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eskymobob
post Apr 13 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #58
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (mojo @ Apr 13 2010, 01:47 AM) *
For me, things like more dedicated servers ready to go and perhaps more limited internet to allow particular steam games to work better to create a hassle free gaming experience!

As it stands there is quite a number of dedicated servers going for the fun comps being run, but i'm sure deadman/Sir Squid can tell you what exactly there is..but afaik. ut2k4/hl2dm/quake3/cs:s/babo violent 2/tron etc.. all have dedicated server support and are run as such. The fun comps are usually free legitimate games which are easy to install and most people have access to and are available on the ftp for download.

Perhaps one thing which could be looked at is more notification to people before the event what standard funcomps will be back before the event and what new ones will be tried so people can get ready beforehand.

There is also a poll up about this sort of thing! go vote on it we need to give the admins/gophers positive feedback on how to do things better!

AS stated many times before steam is an issue because of the pipe size at the venue, and it sounds like there looking for better options. Since people can't browse the net, play online games, use other internet features anyway the solution would not be further restrictions.

IE. The same setup would still be applied anyway option 2 as SirSquid stated, a bigger pipe would just allow hassle free logins to steam. Then once that is in place they can allow port changes so people could have an active connection to play SC2, CNC4 , whatever ... maybe even MW2..but we all know that's a terrible game ;P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Apr 13 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #59
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

QUOTE (schnappy @ Apr 12 2010, 11:03 PM) *
Regarding players vs leechers - I don't mind leechers (Would be hypocritic if I did), but the guys that come with their laptops and HDD's - with no intention to have fun at all... ho hum.

You can't say all laptop + hdd users are leechers.
My friend bought his because he couldnt afford a decent rig, played tf2 with me quite a bit, aswell as some tron.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mojo
post Apr 13 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #60
Player

Next event:

AS stated many times before steam is an issue because of the pipe size at the venue, and it sounds like there looking for better options. Since people can't browse the net, play online games, use other internet features anyway the solution would not be further restrictions.

To clarify I just meant lighter restrictions.. But obviously- the ideal solution is unrestricted internet smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:11 PM