Closed TopicStart new topic
> Respawn Lan 10 Feedback
SirSquidness
post Jan 19 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #41
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (dead_man @ Jan 19 2009, 10:10 PM) *
TF2 didnt end up running unfortunatly due to reason outside of my control, i spoke to several players at the LAN some of who could and some couldnt run TF2 for some reason. apparantly an update of some sort (though this isnt mentioned on steam)

i had this issue of tf2 wanting to update even though it said it was updated 100% and copying over other people GCFs didnt help either.

[offtopic]
for future reference if that happens... Grab the updated GCF files from someone. Get UCL. Set up UCL to run under your Steam username and to use your steam apps folder. Right click game, "Install Minimum files". That will extract the updated files out of the updated GCF files and place them in the game's folder. You could also do it the other way around.

I didn't see any TF2 update though. There was one on Tuesday though.
[/offtopic]

A few more small things I've thought of. Constructive criticisms. This post is bound to sound negative, but as per my previous post, it was an aboslutely epicly awesome LAN. But not perfect - there's no such thing as a perfect LAN (maybe when full VR comes along... biggrin.gif )
-Carpet squares across cables really need to have a little bit of tape on them. Almost all of them were completley off the cables they were covering by the end of the LAN. It's a bastard of a job to do when you're flat out and exhausted (been there, done that, drawn substantial blood from trying to do it too quickly), but it is a rather important one, especially when you're running fibre cables around which may get damaged by a high heel/wheelie chair, along with huge bunches of mains cables. Duct tape is cheap and effective.
-Perhaps have the projector cycling through various information when it's not being used for other stuff, such as upcoming comps, server info (what servers are running. If you can manage it, whcih ones are populated), any other major information (food at xPM, etc). I do really like the idea that was mentioned of spectating a competition. I think I saw Source: TV running on the CS: S server already? Not hard to set up for source servers, anyway. Then when nothing's happening, switch it to Tank's folder of 4000 funny images which he will bring next time tongue.gif
-Don't have a CS: S competition scheduled over 5 hours for just the qualifying rounds tongue.gif (a quick comp is a good comp. Perhaps a time limit of no more than an hour for any single competition, unless otherwise posted)
-Announcers should have an energy drink 15 minutes prior to announcing and/or presenting prizes. I do realise you've been working your arses off for the previous 30+ hours, but a few times people on staged looked/sound like they were about to fall asleep tongue.gif

If it's possible, some form of coloured lights around would be good. I think someone mentioned it in the IRC channel the night before the LAN. The hall already has stage lighting hung. That probably means there's spare lights around you could hang without screwing up their default lighting layout, and then add coloured gels in. I don't think it's worth paying for though., so only if you can get them off the hall for free already tongue.gif If you got some funky party lights, such as a colour changer / wave effect light / what not, it'd be even better.

Other good things I didn't mention last time.
-Awesome decorations. I loved the clear tarps hanging down from the mezanine. Very well done to whoever made them.
-Custard chugging and hard drive throwing were fantastic. It's always great to see half the hall participate in something, or at least go out and watch. I found it to be a great way to talk to randoms I'd never seen before, not to mention getting the vital vitamin D for which we're often starved tongue.gif It's a pity not as much enthusiasm was shown for the other AFK comps (I keep going to call them smacktard events like we call them up here... >.> )
-Flatout 2 comp was awesome. Again, I'd love to see more participation like that. Need to find a game that supports an epic amount of people in one server, then try and get as many people as possible in the game. Quake III was cool too. The second time ever I'd played the game, and I won. Perhaps a game mode that requires skill next time tongue.gif
-Complements to the check in chicks (and any guys that were doing it. There weren't any when I checked in though). I was expecting a few minute wait, minimum, when checking in. Instead, it was pretty much "Hi. I'm SirSquidness. 'sup?", handed them money, got the envelope, then done!

Perhaps next time along with the dog tags, a small badge or something to stick on the front of your PC/monitor. I, for one, am shit at remembering names, so I met a few people then forgot who they were while talking to them at their PC. I hung up the envelope that the dog tags came in on the front of my PC, and a few people said hi. One guy in particular initated a conversation with me on IRC becuase he was in the next row across and recognised the name from said envelope on my PC. It's just another small way to encourage people to mingle etc, which I reckon is the best part of LANing - meeting fellow nerds.

That's all from me for now.
Love,
-Sirsquidness
tongue.gif

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nemesis Hill
post Jan 19 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #42
Player

Next event:

hey, this was my 2nd lan, first Respawn lan, and I thought it was awesome and I'm pretty sure people don't say it enough but thank you very much! i had a good time

i found admins were good, they can't be perfect, and they are volunteers if i heard correctly so cut them some slack, the ladies in right side, they were helpful, Respawn did well in the food department, last lan i went to (Monsterlan in Nth Geelong) there pizza run and that was pretty much it, + drinks and chips that you could buy, but here they took could care, with free bbq, cooking sausages every couple hours is great, coffee and the fact that they got chicken, bacon and sausages for breakfast, its pretty sweet

just wish could get more ppl to play games, hl2dm was awesome fun, but didn't last long sadly, i think only thing that needs improving getting more ppl to play games and yes i understand can't play games all the time and by like 4am, most ppl are just argh can't play games, i understand that, i got to the point where i just couldn't game anymore, but like at 6,7pm everyone i personally think should be fucking playing games, people need to work more on organizing playing games with other people, weather you ask round yourself or go to admin desk and get them to make announcement over microphone, but respawn cannot be awesome, if we don't make it awesome, respawn is what we make it

Last thing, people should FUCKING CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES, there are bins provided, its not hard to get up and walk over to one, its good to stretch your legs, when your sitting down for a day, cause otherwise the volunteers have to fucking clean up after you, why the fuck should they have to do that, they go to the trouble of making this event possible and by polluting the place, i think just disrespectful

oh and power was awsome, last lan i went bout 100-150 ppl, power went like 2 or 3 times and one off my hdd failed, and i don't know much about hdd fail, but pretty sure it was because of the power, so was good to have power whole time =)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
lime
post Jan 19 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #43
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (dead_man @ Jan 19 2009, 10:10 PM) *
TF2 didnt end up running unfortunatly due to reason outside of my control, i spoke to several players at the LAN some of who could and some couldnt run TF2 for some reason. apparantly an update of some sort (though this isnt mentioned on steam)

i had this issue of tf2 wanting to update even though it said it was updated 100% and copying over other people GCFs didnt help either.

I didn't notice a tf2 update either while there. I would have been one of those who updated since I had net access and there was probably ~12 people in the server just after 21:00 so there must have been a few of us.
Oh well, thanks for the answer and maybe next time it will work.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jan 19 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #44
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 20 2009, 12:32 AM) *
<snip>
A few more small things I've thought of. Constructive criticisms. This post is bound to sound negative, but as per my previous post, it was an aboslutely epicly awesome LAN. But not perfect - there's no such thing as a perfect LAN (maybe when full VR comes along... biggrin.gif )
-Carpet squares across cables really need to have a little bit of tape on them. Almost all of them were completley off the cables they were covering by the end of the LAN. It's a bastard of a job to do when you're flat out and exhausted (been there, done that, drawn substantial blood from trying to do it too quickly), but it is a rather important one, especially when you're running fibre cables around which may get damaged by a high heel/wheelie chair, along with huge bunches of mains cables. Duct tape is cheap and effective.

it's a lot of tape sleep.gif maybe somthing that will get added to the list of things ot think about

-Perhaps have the projector cycling through various information when it's not being used for other stuff, such as upcoming comps, server info (what servers are running. If you can manage it, whcih ones are populated), any other major information (food at xPM, etc). I do really like the idea that was mentioned of spectating a competition. I think I saw Source: TV running on the CS: S server already? Not hard to set up for source servers, anyway. Then when nothing's happening, switch it to Tank's folder of 4000 funny images which he will bring next time tongue.gif

i r a she ^_-

also yea, its another thing we need to get more organised on, haha

If it's possible, some form of coloured lights around would be good. I think someone mentioned it in the IRC channel the night before the LAN. The hall already has stage lighting hung. That probably means there's spare lights around you could hang without screwing up their default lighting layout, and then add coloured gels in. I don't think it's worth paying for though., so only if you can get them off the hall for free already tongue.gif If you got some funky party lights, such as a colour changer / wave effect light / what not, it'd be even better.

i can't explain how much i (perhaps zardoz) would lvoe to do this, however theres quite a few parcans (the ones tha tlook like tin cans) and we simply need the power for pc's. especially when we are trying to cram 350ppl+ in smile.gif

<snip>
That's all from me for now.
Love,
-Sirsquidness
tongue.gif

hugs!

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TMM
post Jan 20 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #45
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (MiniWalks @ Jan 20 2009, 12:22 AM) *
If that was the case, then how did i answer your question.....

iirc you lifted your headphones briefly, or maybe you didn't and thus didn't understand what was going on (i know for a fact you can't hear shit with Beyer DT770 headphones on) because you pointed in a random direction, i looked but couldn't see deadman and figured you'd played me so i gave you a "o_O" and as i went to walk away the other guy went off his nut.

I never understood what your problem was with me Miniwalks. Ever since i've known who you were you've been an absolute prick towards me. The first time you ever talked to me you walked up to me and shaked my chair violently before saying "hey faggot!" or something along those lines. Maybe you have confused me with someone else you knew previously, i have no idea. I wonder if you have any concept of the english language but last time i checked "hey, FAGGOT!" was not a positive reply to "g'day mini", and i really am baffled as to why you found it necessary to yell out "harden the fuck up for the next LAN, FAGGOT!" as i left the venue, pretty much everyone who heard you yell that out had a completely shocked look on their face, as did I.

It's all extremely bizarre to me.

anyway, you can have the last post just so you can feel like you've won, and make your ego a little bigger because i won't be reading it anyway

</thread>

--------------------
this is a signature
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neon
post Jan 20 2009, 01:26 AM
Post #46
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 20 2009, 12:32 AM) *

Majority of the lighting in the union hall rig looks to be par64's which are generally 1000w. Im not sure, but im pretty sure that the 3 phase that is used for the dimmer system would probably be unplugged and used for powering part of the lan.
Geeks like dark anyway - having stage lights on would heat the place up very quickly, and be a waste of power also.

--------------------
.:neon:.

---> http://www.sanlan.com.au <--- Mornington Peninsula LAN Party!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jan 20 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #47
Player

Next event:

yup; the lighting is one 3pha socket on its own. and we use all we can get for pcs smile.gif
smile.gif

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eskymobob
post Jan 20 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #48
Player

Next event:

[quote name='Nemesis Hill' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:39 AM' post='3734']

Last thing, people should FUCKING CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES, there are bins provided, its not hard to get up and walk over to one, its good to stretch your legs, when your sitting down for a day, cause otherwise the volunteers have to fucking clean up after you, why the fuck should they have to do that, they go to the trouble of making this event possible and by polluting the place, i think just disrespectful

Always a issue at cleanup on sunday. This time around though bins were bigger maybe?

But the back of the hall was cleaner this event than previous ones, to the people sitting there during the lan and those 2 or 3 guys at the end putting up chairs and cleaning up the little rubbish there was, good work.

For shame: People sitting in the annex..although it wasn't to bad.

Some people on the VIP table up the front, but again not to bad.

All in all people have cleaned up after themselves better, good work.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jan 20 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #49
Player

Next event:

also cause i rage cleaned and cleaned all of the rubbish cept for where people were sitting before we started packing up.

those guy at the back were tops
they cleaned up the sundae before i could! biggrin.gif

and yea; fucking gross lanner :'(

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jan 20 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #50
Player

Next event:

just a note one should only expect customer service from someone getting paid its not a job to them they are volunteering there time cut them slack
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tass
post Jan 20 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #51
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Glasseater @ Jan 20 2009, 12:09 PM) *
just a note one should only expect customer service from someone getting paid its not a job to them they are volunteering there time cut them slack

they are volunteering to do A JOB which is the same as a JOB where you get paid.

they volunteer because they want to do it not because they are forced.

that doesn't mean that we should expect no customer service from them

what you said makes no sense to me
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Jan 20 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #52
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

Please don't ban 0.306... its the only way someone who forgot to hash files can share em
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jan 20 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #53
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (tass @ Jan 20 2009, 12:56 PM) *

they are volunteering to do A JOB which is the same as a JOB where you get paid.

But at the same time, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and make their lives easier. They spend their weekend serving us, making sure things run smoothly, organising things. Running a LAN is no small feat, especially one of that size. Cleaning up after yourself takes very little time and effort (not to mention I think it's your own responsibility to clean up after yousrelf), but if 350 people dont' clean up after themselves, then that's a crap load of work for the people packing up that they really don't need/appreciate.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLoV
post Jan 20 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #54
Power Gopher

Next event:

QUOTE (TMM @ Jan 20 2009, 01:28 AM) *
QUOTE (MiniWalks @ Jan 20 2009, 12:22 AM) *
If that was the case, then how did i answer your question.....

iirc you lifted your headphones briefly, or maybe you didn't and thus didn't understand what was going on (i know for a fact you can't hear shit with Beyer DT770 headphones on) because you pointed in a random direction, i looked but couldn't see deadman and figured you'd played me so i gave you a "o_O" and as i went to walk away the other guy went off his nut.

I never understood what your problem was with me Miniwalks. Ever since i've known who you were you've been an absolute prick towards me. The first time you ever talked to me you walked up to me and shaked my chair violently before saying "hey faggot!" or something along those lines. Maybe you have confused me with someone else you knew previously, i have no idea. I wonder if you have any concept of the english language but last time i checked "hey, FAGGOT!" was not a positive reply to "g'day mini", and i really am baffled as to why you found it necessary to yell out "harden the fuck up for the next LAN, FAGGOT!" as i left the venue, pretty much everyone who heard you yell that out had a completely shocked look on their face, as did I.

It's all extremely bizarre to me.

anyway, you can have the last post just so you can feel like you've won, and make your ego a little bigger because i won't be reading it anyway

</thread>

seriously dude stop trying to find every littile thing to pick on lol , hes says hey faggot to me to some times, i can obviously see hes jokeing maybe you just to stupid too look outside the bigger picture of urself.....
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tass
post Jan 20 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #55
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 20 2009, 03:04 PM) *

But at the same time, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and make their lives easier. They spend their weekend serving us, making sure things run smoothly, organising things. Running a LAN is no small feat, especially one of that size. Cleaning up after yourself takes very little time and effort (not to mention I think it's your own responsibility to clean up after yousrelf), but if 350 people dont' clean up after themselves, then that's a crap load of work for the people packing up that they really don't need/appreciate.

I agree with that squid. I was polite to the admins the whole time and did clean up after myself wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jan 20 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #56
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (tass @ Jan 20 2009, 03:39 PM) *
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 20 2009, 03:04 PM) *

I agree with that squid. I was polite to the admins the whole time and did clean up after myself wink.gif

much love to gamers like you :>

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jan 20 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #57
Player

Next event:

so, customer service should be perfect all the way through? i have never seen any business or LAN run with perfect customer service.

we dont get paid, we are up all hours trying to make it the best LAN in melb and by most of the replied the guys are doing a damn good job at the same time,

as far as miniwalks calling TMM a fag? i dont know one person he hasnt called a fag (except himself)

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tass
post Jan 20 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #58
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (dead_man @ Jan 20 2009, 04:51 PM) *

so, customer service should be perfect all the way through? i have never seen any business or LAN run with perfect customer service.

we dont get paid, we are up all hours trying to make it the best LAN in melb and by most of the replied the guys are doing a damn good job at the same time,

as far as miniwalks calling TMM a fag? i dont know one person he hasnt called a fag (except himself)

sorry but i didn't read anyone mention "perfect customer service" here

don't take it the wrong way
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jan 20 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #59
Player

Next event:

sorry didnt mean any offence, long day at work and aircon is broken.

lets agree to disagree

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tass
post Jan 20 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #60
Player

Next event:

ill agree to that!!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:40 PM