Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> MSY Computers, Are they really worth it?
xbox_girl
post Mar 4 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Hey Guys,

Since my desktop PC was removed from my care, I require a new one... and as I'm lazy I'm thinking I'll just get MSY to build it for me... Has anyone brought one of their PC's? Are they any good? I want something that I can game on, but not too expensive at the same time... Thoughts?

Sam
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
R4N
post Mar 4 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #2
Hueg.

Next event:

After working for msy for 4 years, i can safely say... DO NOT GET A PREBUILT SYSTEM FROM MSY.

If you dont want to build it yourself, get a mate to do it, or goto centrecom/cpl. MSY do not pride themselves on build quality.

In terms of the type of machine your after, what kind of budget do you have in mind?

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Mar 4 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

lol i knew you would have something useful to say.. Why don't get one? I thought they did warranties and all???

as for the machine, I want something that can play *ahem* online mmorpgs, games (Sims 3, Spore, Steam) and is reasonable good graphics wise for pf around with photoshop. Budget is $1,000 at this stage. No monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers required.

hmm centrecom, are they good? Do they also have prebuilt systems? or do they custom build systems?

Sam
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Mar 4 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

i had veeeery similar requirements and i ended up with a; intel c2d e8400, on a gigbyte mobo with 4gb of ram and gfx was a nvidia GTS 1gb 250. the cpu is slot 775 which i think is being phased out (or jsut getting old.) but the gfx was $139 a month ago and kciks ass. (also it has HDMI out.)

my input tongue.gif

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Mar 4 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #5
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13676

Sure, $13 postage, but worth it
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Mar 5 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #6
Hueg.

Next event:

MSY do have a 1 year parts/labour on their machines. The problem is they dont put alot of time into each machine, and they pretty much always cheap out on the psu/case. The specs tank posted are probably perfect for your job.

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Mar 5 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

Thanks guys,

Tank - If you don't mind me asking how much was your PC?

R4N - Know anyone that wants to make $20? lol

Priorax - Thanks for the link, I would prefer something that wasn't posted ohmy.gif) Also, it maxes out my limit.

Also can anyone recommend an AMD chipset? I was converted a while back and now Intel just makes me feel weird... Or rather, can anyone convince me into spec list? lol
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Mar 5 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (xbox_girl @ Mar 5 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Thanks guys,

Tank - If you don't mind me asking how much was your PC?

uhhhmmm i ended up spending liiiiiike $850 or something? the PSU i got a corsair 650w one (modular) prolly more w than i needed but it's kick ass. Plus i got 2 x 1tb drives ($99 ea) when i prolly only needed one tongue.gif

the gfx card was $130 or something? and kick ass smile.gif def. would recommend. (plus the brand i chose has a naked man-angle on the front... so woo!)

-Tank

( i got the ram / cpu second hand from a friend, so yea <.<)

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post Mar 6 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

Grab the April edition of PC User, there's a section on sub-$1500 PCs. A bit above the price you were after, but they're all pre-built and from reputable places. I think the postage is free Australia-wide, but don't quote me on it.

And at $1500 it will probably last a little while as well. At the very least it gives you some idea of what a pre-built system should include for that price. If you look around I think they had a sub-$1000 desktop PC competition recently too.

--------------------
"The Maelstrom is a dark force that seeks the destruction of all imagination"
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MrDerrick
post Mar 7 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

Scorptech is another one that can assist with builds, though I would try Centrecom first.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jutzy
post Mar 8 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

i wanna make 20 XD

i needes the moneys

u get me the parts ill build it

--------------------
------Jutzy------
Just a regular Joe Nao!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stroyer
post May 27 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

not posted, couriered via Toll. Can also pick up from WH if you want, but you must pay a $200.00 deposit before collecting. Also, the warranties are pretty decent (3yr on-site) and the build quality is good. Buy a bundle/pre-built and you'll get better pricing than buying the parts yourself.

--------------------
The cloud stole my bee. CONFISCATE EYES!!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DArenberg
post May 28 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (stroyer @ May 27 2010, 11:27 PM) *

not posted, couriered via Toll. Can also pick up from WH if you want, but you must pay a $200.00 deposit before collecting. Also, the warranties are pretty decent (3yr on-site) and the build quality is good. Buy a bundle/pre-built and you'll get better pricing than buying the parts yourself.

+1 for pccasegear.com pickup cashiers aren't that friendly but the techs were generally interested in solving a problem I had with a GFX card I purchased, the order online first system and wait to process took a bit of time management.

-5 for MSY and CPL best prices in town, but the service is rotten must have spent nearly 15k with them over 5 years and when I needed help with stuff I purchased from them first one was not interested second one gave me a telephone number to call some one that cared!

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
phrostyboi
post May 28 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

I can put in a good word for centrecom as well, upgraded a couple of months ago and ended up with a good balanced system for just on a grand

plus theyre only a 20 min drive from my place which is nice being open on a weekend

and all this new intel stuff is so piss easy to build you might as well save the 100 bucks they'll charge to put it together, bag the push pins all you want but it's so much more comforting than having to use a flathead screwdriver to put a HSF on like the old athlons...
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Thrillho
post Aug 30 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

just make sure you get a mate that you can be sure can do it right or will at least pay for any fuck ups himself. cos nothing is worse than him blowing up your brand new computer.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:16 AM