Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V18 LAN FOOD!, om nom nom nom feed me your thoughts!
Tank
post Jul 13 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Hey guys,

I have recently returned from Relaoded LAN, and have brought back with me some thoughts.

They have a shop thing that sold things like hot pies and hot dogs, and i was wondering if this sort of food (more substantial than chips / chocolate / muffin) would appeal to people?

I'm also welcoming of any/all ideas to make the RespawnCafe better! (including coffee! nomnomnom :3)

let me know! and i'll see what i cna do biggrin.gif

-tank

--------------------
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TechL
post Jul 13 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

Hot food definitely appeals to me. Go for it!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shadow Reaper
post Jul 13 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #3
Competitions & Power Admin

Next event:

Things like hotdogs, pies and the like especially when the muchies hit around 1-2am would be really nice =)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
I.esus
post Jul 13 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

+1 for the hot food idea.

Things like hot dogs, pies, sausage rolls, etc. are cheap, so they're easy to make profit from (or at least break even).
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Jul 13 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

Hot food :3

The respawn community should help construct that food 'directory' a user was working on. It's a pain in the butt trying to find a nice food place, especially if you're vego/vegan. smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Worthless
post Jul 13 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Obviously you need to break even, and a little profit is fine but charging $3 when it cost you $1 to make is perhaps a little outrageous. $1.50 when it cost you $1 to make I would be happy with (or something in that vicinity).

Just don't want corner shop pricing with 200% markup is all.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jul 13 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #7
^_^

Next event:

That's how Respawn operates - we keep the costs as close to cost as possible.

We provide it to make the LAN more awesome, not to profiteer from!

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post Jul 14 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #8
Blame him.

Next event:

QUOTE (Worthless @ Jul 13 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Obviously you need to break even, and a little profit is fine but charging $3 when it cost you $1 to make is perhaps a little outrageous. $1.50 when it cost you $1 to make I would be happy with (or something in that vicinity).

Just don't want corner shop pricing with 200% markup is all.

Labour, venue space, infrastructure (ie pie warmers don't grow on trees), transportation/logistics, time spent by people who would otherwise have better things to do.

All kinda tricky to quantify the value of accurately, but to be honest a couple of bucks extra per item is entirely reasonable given all of these things. It's easy to forget that if you buy a pie off someone they've got to stand there all day selling pies to people when they could be paid to do the same at a corner store (who would probably charge you more for the pie anyway).

So I wouldn't think of that as profit. I'd think of it as money that tank earned with hard work - work that she would be paid for elsewhere - and has graciously decided to pour back into community for nothing.

(edit: also, I feel I should mention that Respawn is probably the only 400 person event I've ever been to where food/drink is so cheap - try $8 for a bottle of water at a rave. THAT is profiteering.)

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
B3NN
post Jul 14 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

OMG COFFFEE!!! Finally.. a warm drink to keep me awake through the long, cold hours of gaming! tongue.gif

Hot Food is a great idea though, especially since I don't have a car.. so once Ping closes up, all I have to keep me warm is pizza.. which isn't much for a 29 hour event sad.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
I.esus
post Jul 14 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

Tbh, I'd be happy spending $3 on a pie/w sauce, hot dog/w sauce, etc.

Maybe Worthless' mum doesn't give him enough pocket money. wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jul 14 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

(just a note; I make NOTHING from respawn smile.gif I get a free t-shirt, and free entry, and thats about it ;P)

The pricing for sure would be reasonable. At Reloaded hot dogs were $4, which i thought was a tad expensive. I'm not yet 100% sure of costings, so i can't give a specific idea of how much things will cost. It will, however, not be over the top. (look at the price of our cans... Reloaded had can's for $2.20, while our can price is STILL at $1. which is probably the cheapest can of drink anywhere! tongue.gif)

I expect the price to be between $2 and $3. (this takes into account the cost of the pie/sausage roll/hotdog+bun, the pie/hot dog warmer, etcetc.)

Honestly I have to pay the same as you guys, so it's not going to be an extreme price.

The baked goods were the same, they are exactly the same things you would buy from a cafe (I know this for fact.) from $3 upward, but we were selling them for $2 which hardly gave us any profit.

Coffee etc would be perhaps $1 a cup (seeing as i wont be getting a cupachino machine or anything, it will more likely be a perculator/drialator. still better than instant, no? tongue.gif) and we would also have tea and hot chocolate (nomnomnomnom).

Thanks all for your input smile.gif It definately seems like it would be a welcome idea, and i will start to look into it more closely smile.gif

-tank

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Jul 14 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

Hot food sounds like a great idea.. though perhaps I can suggest that the "Respawn/Tank Cafe" is moved from the entrance to a larger area? I'm thinking perhaps near/behind the express check in that was at V17 (so you could just move it forward after say midday) or in the alcove as there appeared to be a large unused area at the top.

From last lan it seemed you were a little cramped and adding a pie warmer/hot dog assembly area is going to make you feel like you are in a shoebox smile.gif

Coffee sounds like a good idea, but again maybe you can hire a coffee urn? The one i used to have held quite a few litres of coffee which ment refilling was a once every couple of hours.. definately ++ on the busy-ness as it means your not standing there for a half hour every hour refilling it.

On a side note: Have you thought of providing healthier options? I know 80% of people don't want to healthy foods but perhaps you could look into providing pack sandwiches/fruit salad? I'm fairly sure you could pick up the triangle sandwich packs fairly cheap and then its just a matter of making them the night before/during the day and popping them into the fridge. And Fruit salad is easy as!

And if you have the space, maybe respawn can provide a microwave next time? I don't know if one was provided at V17 but i know it would be handy as, not only for those that would like to bring their own food, but also for those who wanna make popcorn for movie watching biggrin.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Worthless
post Jul 14 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

I was of course referring to mark-up, not price. $2-3 is fine.

Not a coffee person (unless its iced coffee) but I am sure other lanners would appreciate it.

Also, +1 to above for the microwave idea.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
B3NN
post Jul 15 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

Sandwiches and fruit salads are cold food.. I'm sure if people really want healthier options they could bring them on the day?

+1 for microwave tongue.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Wombie
post Jul 15 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (B3NN @ Jul 15 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Sandwiches and fruit salads are cold food.. I'm sure if people really want healthier options they could bring them on the day?

+1 for microwave tongue.gif

Plus i don't like sandwitches not made by myself because no one else knows just how you like your sammich!

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Jul 15 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (xbox_girl @ Jul 14 2010, 01:13 PM) *
And if you have the space, maybe respawn can provide a microwave next time? I don't know if one was provided at V17 but i know it would be handy as, not only for those that would like to bring their own food, but also for those who wanna make popcorn for movie watching biggrin.gif

The only concern I see with that, whilst it could be done. Is the mess that follows. Lanner's tend to be a messy bunch, and the amount of rubbish on floors, split drinks etc makes it a little prohibitive. Particularly when one lanner nukes their easymac and leaves a god awful mess in the microwave because it exploded everywhere and left cheese all over the inside of the microwave.

Edit: Who cleans up after the lanner that exploded cheese in the microwave?

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shadow Reaper
post Jul 15 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #17
Competitions & Power Admin

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jul 15 2010, 04:26 PM) *
Probally a very sad and mad tank in that case
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Jul 15 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jul 15 2010, 04:26 PM) *
QUOTE (xbox_girl @ Jul 14 2010, 01:13 PM) *

The only concern I see with that, whilst it could be done. Is the mess that follows. Lanner's tend to be a messy bunch, and the amount of rubbish on floors, split drinks etc makes it a little prohibitive. Particularly when one lanner nukes their easymac and leaves a god awful mess in the microwave because it exploded everywhere and left cheese all over the inside of the microwave.

I don't think Tank would have to clean it up.. if the microwave is beside where all the food is anyway then you can SEE who makes the mess and they should clean it up.. alternatively you can have the microwave behind a desk and only certain people operate it therefore making it the responsibility of whoever decided to explode the mac and cheese in the first place.

As for comments surrounding making your own sandwiches, I personally don't enjoy eating foods that are off from not being in the fridge.. if i bring sandwiches to lan (with say mayo or ham) and have no where to put them then they go off.. having the ability to purchase sandwiches at lan that have been in the fridge is much more preferable to getting sick from eating warm meats... I understand that not everyone enjoys all sandwiches but it really wouldn't cost alot to make a half dozen of each type of sandwich... Alternatively, if you want to make your own sandwiches then that is up to you.. as i said, it's a healthier option and it might get a bigger response than people are thinking.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Jul 15 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

most ppl at a lans dont want healthy food its all about the greasy
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post Jul 15 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #20
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

QUOTE (Glasseater @ Jul 15 2010, 05:49 PM) *
most ppl at a lans dont want healthy food its all about the greasy

I second this motion.
To the point where I always get the doublebacon (or if you take my ticket from last Respawn, douchebag) pizza, purely because it is the most unhealthy thing there
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:32 PM