Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next Respawn Suggestions, Suggest games and other comps
GIARUS
post Jan 25 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

i know it might be a fit old but how about a yugioh duel monsters comp i haven't played in ages but if u make it into a comp ill come out of retirement

--------------------

The internet! Where men are men, Women are men & underage teens are FBI agents
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zantikk
post Jan 25 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

BFBC2 and HoN when released.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seekz
post Jan 25 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

Amateur / Casual CoD comps where sponsored / hardcore clans cannot participate

Pro / Hardcore CoD comps where Amateur / Casual players cannot participate

The CoD competitions were fun when you played against players who were in the same boat as you, and the games were close & enjoyable

It wasn't fun when you played a hardcore clan, who get cocky & insult you and win 24-0

Also see http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=1104
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Jan 26 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #4
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

QUOTE (seekz @ Jan 26 2010, 12:10 AM) *
Amateur / Casual CoD comps where sponsored / hardcore clans cannot participate

Pro / Harcore CoD comps where Amateur / Casual players cannot participate

The CoD competitions were fun when you played against players who were in the same boat as you, and the games were close & enjoyable

It wasn't fun when you played a hardcore clan, who get cocky & insult you and win 24-0

Also see http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=1104

I know what you are saying, but its hard to draw the line between amateur and pro teams at respawn, esp since even the pro teams' lineups are often made up on the day. (I don't think many of them are sponsored either, they just play a lot)
There would also be a lot of complaints about good teams in the amateur comps (even if they aren't 'pro'), or one of the pro players playing in the amateur comp for kicks.

We aim to have more cod4 funcomps, FFA as well as GunGame. There are talks (not certain yet) of maybe a larger TDM (or other) comp, that isn't so serious as the main promod one.

Bottom line is, there will always be people who are pretty good at cod. Same with CS, flatout, etc. But with more cod comps, everyone should get more of a chance to play.

(If anyone has any suggestions about cod4, questions, etc, feel free to PM either me or dead_man, or post in the cod4 rules thread.)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seekz
post Jan 26 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

Thats a good point but one possible answer to this is, is to have practice rounds to determine what class you are categorised as. But then again, its easy to fake being noob.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oohms
post Jan 26 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #6
Server/Comp Gopher

Next event:

QUOTE (seekz @ Jan 26 2010, 11:54 AM) *
Thats a good point but one possible answer to this is, is to have practice rounds to determine what class you are categorised as. But then again, its easy to fake being noob.

The other option is to run those 2 cod comps at the same time, with prize money for the pro comp and something else for the casual one.. but that's something we'd need to discuss (amongst ourselves, and with you guys)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jan 26 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

I will clarify my position on the COD4 Comp.

at this stage i will not be seperating the comps between casual/pro teams.

as it stands it takes alot of time and effort for me and the server team to manage the one comp as it is now, seperating it will only be harder.

to combat this we may be introducing some smaller faster paced COD4 games which im still thinking on how to run. most likely a TDM based comp with small round times while being very fast paced.

once iv worked out details with other members of the respawn team ill post details so everyone else can put forward there point of view.

regards
-Dead_Man
-Comp Admin

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GIARUS
post Jan 27 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

i wanna tron comp come on it would be epic

--------------------

The internet! Where men are men, Women are men & underage teens are FBI agents
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
toe
post Jan 28 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

My suggestions, not all are universally flawless, but I've seen alot of these work quite effectively.

- A Dedicated seating plan.
These are easier than it sounds. Just get people to group into clans/common names, (where appropriate, Larger groups 3+)

- A Hard cutoff time for arrivals before it goes to waiting lists (later on in the night. 8pm or something like that. Similar system with a paid for seat is paid for and permanent, I don't know fully on this one.)

- In a similar sense too, maybe an optional check-out system. I noticed a few guys near me packed up and left early in the night 6-7pm. It could be handy to know they are not coming back. I know not everyone would use this, in fact most probably wouldn't, but considering you could integrate something like this into the EMS or a quick word to the admins, it could be handy.

And this one is more of a question.

Coming from Lans that used the big catalyst switches as mainly backbones and ran off small four porters to the nosebleeds, is there are particular reason it's not done here? I know the website says to show up with 10m cables and you're never further than that away, but it still makes it difficult when you're in the nosebleeds after everyone else has gotten there, and leave before they do. (a lot of delicate cord play).
I'm sure there is something I'm over looking in this one.

And one more, nothing to do with admins or generally at the lan.

But to the Jackarses playing CS:S or whatever it was yelling at full volume to one another along with some stupid incomprehensible catch phrase when they one, a couple of suggestions.
-You're right there, your teammates can hear you, we don't need to
-Perhaps head phones, microphones and a local vent/teamspeak server may be worth it?
-A bit of excess energy and lack of any real achievement says that maybe a sport would be appropriate too
And I do foresee a massive coronary in your future if you don't learn to relax when you get killed.

Thanks to the guys who started The Ship server too. I really love playing that game and haven't had a decent go of it with alot of people since back in the days of the Steam free weekend!!! That was definitely my highlight
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jan 28 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #10
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (toe @ Jan 28 2010, 09:16 PM) *
(1) - A Hard cutoff time for arrivals before it goes to waiting lists (later on in the night. 8pm or something like that. Similar system with a paid for seat is paid for and permanent, I don't know fully on this one.)

(2) - In a similar sense too, maybe an optional check-out system. I noticed a few guys near me packed up and left early in the night 6-7pm. It could be handy to know they are not coming back. I know not everyone would use this, in fact most probably wouldn't, but considering you could integrate something like this into the EMS or a quick word to the admins, it could be handy.

(3) Coming from Lans that used the big catalyst switches as mainly backbones and ran off small four porters to the nosebleeds, is there are particular reason it's not done here? I know the website says to show up with 10m cables and you're never further than that away, but it still makes it difficult when you're in the nosebleeds after everyone else has gotten there, and leave before they do. (a lot of delicate cord play).

(4) Thanks to the guys who started The Ship server too. I really love playing that game and haven't had a decent go of it with alot of people since back in the days of the Steam free weekend!!! That was definitely my highlight

(1) - After 2PM, anyone is allowed to rock up to the LAN. If there's a seat, we'll let them in for the price of one whole entry fee. If there's no seats left, then it's bad luck.

(2) - Prehaps. We'll look in to it.

(3) - We don't own the switches - we borrow them from a certain source. These are the switches that we are able to borrow, and these are the switches that work best for us. The switches still operate in the same way, just the outer switches are larger than what you're reminiscing about. We still have some beefy stacked switches as the core, and the outer switches all feed back to that.

(4) - You're welcome. I regret that not long after more than one other person joined, I had to leave the server to do other adminly things, but next LAN, I will be there again, and I'll be damned if I dont' play it this time. So many people underestimate how awesome this game is =(

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Jan 29 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

Coming from Lans that used the big catalyst switches as mainly backbones and ran off small four porters to the nosebleeds, is there are particular reason it's not done here? I know the website says to show up with 10m cables and you're never further than that away, but it still makes it difficult when you're in the nosebleeds after everyone else has gotten there, and leave before they do. (a lot of delicate cord play).
From a networking perspective and I think Squiddy touched on this one too. The switches we use are best designed and configured for the event's needs. Everything runs back to a central core (for those of you in the know its a "STAR TOPOLOGY"). Everything feeds back to that central point.

The reason we ask you to bring 10mtr cables is purely because the equipment source we use only has so much it can sponsor us with. The 4 port switches means that you would only effectively have 1Gbps uplink and the 4 of you would potentially quite heavily congest that one link. The 24 port switches on each table this event were specifically configured with dual uplinks (effectively giving us 2gbps of backhaul). This means you can as the saying goes "FRAG WITH NO LAG".

Also there is the element those smaller switches could get damaged or go missing. Plus if we started running more switches, the power group would have an even more difficult job of balancing the power requirements of the event.

Also each table is configured as 24 seats, with 24 ports (1 per port) not counting the uplinks.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tree_
post Feb 2 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

More Quake, less CoD.

And this time i'll actually be there.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post Feb 4 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #13
Blame him.

Next event:

- In a similar sense too, maybe an optional check-out system. I noticed a few guys near me packed up and left early in the night 6-7pm. It could be handy to know they are not coming back. I know not everyone would use this, in fact most probably wouldn't, but considering you could integrate something like this into the EMS or a quick word to the admins, it could be handy.

There's a check-out button on the EMS, but I have never used it/seen anyone use it and thus don't know what it does, if anything.

edit: apparently it works but there still might be a good reason not to use it

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andrewzor
post Feb 4 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

It was a good lan.

Needs moar tron though.

--------------------
Flawless Victory
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:31 PM