Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v16 Comments etc, yepyepyep!
Tank
post Apr 11 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

SO yep!

What did you like? What didn't you like?! What made the event awesome for you? What would be awesome if we did next time?

we appreciate both positive and negative, as both will get us to make better events in future smile.gif

-Tank

--------------------
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stocky
post Apr 11 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

I posted my opinion in the computer chair thread below this, mainly because they were my biggest annoyance
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Redback
post Apr 11 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

R4N needs to not yell into the mic
CS commentary can diaf
Music on the PA can also diaf

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Apr 12 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #4
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (Redback @ Apr 11 2010, 11:15 PM) *

The sound of 400 dirty leechers makes for a quite dull atmosphere.

A dull atmosphere is not something we want.

The music is kept relatively quiet (when it's played at all) so you can easily drown it out with headphones or conversation.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThirtySix45
post Apr 12 2010, 04:40 AM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

God damn that CSS commentary was the lamest thing ive heard, ever!

Id have to say one of the most annoying things at the lan was peoples lack of patience and manners.
We had one guy setting up fairly late and he was clearly having a tough time. Instead of approaching us and being polite and asking nicely he decided to;

1. ask us to move our chairs with so much attitude it pretty much insured we got in his way everytime.
2. proceeded to barge past us knocking everyone in his way. Fair enough by this point because we had started to take up all the room lol.
3. Go cry to the admins like a 5 year old.
4. Then once we had been, finally, asked politely by the admin to move he doesnt walk past us for ages!

Was a good laugh for us in the end.

Respawn was all in all awesome again. Thanks to the great admins.

--------------------
QUOTE (Ninjabreadman @ Sep 8 2009, 09:02 PM) *
respawn boasts a great 1:222 girl to guy to ratio
couldn't be more sausage

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Wombie
post Apr 12 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Personally, as a catch up with mates and a fun place to be i loved it.

There were a couple of areas i think you're getting weak on though, the gaming was non exsistant, and although it is up to the players to game it is up to the admins to make the atmosphere and the general gaming mood happen.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Redback
post Apr 12 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Apr 12 2010, 01:23 AM) *
QUOTE (Redback @ Apr 11 2010, 11:15 PM) *

The sound of 400 dirty leechers makes for a quite dull atmosphere.

A dull atmosphere is not something we want.

The music is kept relatively quiet (when it's played at all) so you can easily drown it out with headphones or conversation.

The volume is set by someone in the admin area, who is not near any of the pa speakers.

Late on Sunday it was so loud I had to leave my pc.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zeplin
post Apr 12 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

We enjoyed, Loosing the spot in line to move our cars out to the main road,
Being told to unload from there, To loose our spot in the line and stand outside with out gear in the rain.
After being told we'd be pushed through because of it. But wasn't.
Especially considering one of us is disabled and we had a disabled sticker on the car.

Enjoyed being told by a cod4 team never to come back, over and over in the server chat during the comp.

Enjoyed missing comps because not a single one was on time or you'd get misleading info from the schedule to the teams page or direct from admin.

Loved the constant threats to damage other peoples property by admin, Great form.

One of the people who was meant to be gaming with us, Ordered some hoodies and a shirt, However due to the rain and the situation above, his system was covered in water, so he went home to dry out his gear instead.
Later he was called up on the PA, so one of us went down to talk to them about it.
Obviously we had to arrange the cash, When we did, We found out in the end that the admin had given the hoodies away.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Apr 12 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Zeplin @ Apr 12 2010, 01:28 PM) *
Being told to unload from there, To loose our spot in the line and stand outside with out gear in the rain.
Especially considering one of us is disabled and we had a disabled sticker on the car.

I believe we spoke to you directly and advised that provided you had that disabled sticker there was no concerns with you parking there. Once we were made aware of your sticker, that was the end of it. In future we would appriciate via a PM to one of the key admins that you have a disability, and we'll make sure that provisions are made such that problems like these do not arise.

Loved the constant threats to damage other peoples property by admin, Great form.

This is most concerning and I have added it to special list.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Apr 12 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

One of the people who was meant to be gaming with us, Ordered some hoodies and a shirt, However due to the rain and the situation above, his system was covered in water, so he went home to dry out his gear instead.
Later he was called up on the PA, so one of us went down to talk to them about it.
Obviously we had to arrange the cash, When we did, We found out in the end that the admin had given the hoodies away.

As i explained yesterday, i was firstly told that he didn't want them, so gave one of them away. The someone said he did want it, but the one set aside had dissapeared. The was told he would want the shirt, so set it aside. then was told that one of your guys needed to go to the ATM for money, so i waited, and no one ever came back for the shirt.

I did apologise profusely at the time, but please be aware that it wasn't completely my fault in this situation, and i was only acting on the information given to me.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zeplin
post Apr 12 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Apr 12 2010, 02:11 PM) *

I believe we spoke to you directly and advised that provided you had that disabled sticker there was no concerns with you parking there. Once we were made aware of your sticker, that was the end of it. In future we would appriciate via a PM to one of the key admins that you have a disability, and we'll make sure that provisions are made such that problems like these do not arise.

Not a single person spoke to me about it. Just the demand to move our cars or we would be stuck out in the rain.
As for the shirts, I was there during our first contact regarding them. You were told we had to contact him about them, We had no idea he had even ordered them.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 12 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

Good afternoon everyone,

Since this was the 1st LAN I have attended as a gamer, I must admit it opened my eyes to a lot of things, good and bad.

First, I'll start with the "bad".

Unless there was other comments made while I was out of the hall, I think this comment relates to the announcement made by Zardoz about someone having a virus on their system, and when he finds it he'll toss it outside. Whether he meant it or not, I do not know, but I found myself concerned and in turn running virus scanners on my system to make sure it wasn't me.

Some of the language shouted across the hall over the weekend which was directed at other players/teams may have been in the heat of the moment, but I felt it may be unwarranted. Try to remember that there are young people in the room and hey, it's just a game. Sure there was prize money up for grabs, but that doesn't mean foul language needs to be shouted.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Now, onto the "good".

Since I was getting around on crutches, mobility was limited at best for me. I have never been to an event where admins and/or players have made sure that things were pointed out to me, such as location of disabled toilets etc. This was much appreciated.

Just about everyone I spoke to over the weekend were very friendly, and made the event more enjoyable.

To all the admins, I thank you for putting in so much hard work each and every time to bring us this event. I cannot even begin to imagine how stressful the "behind the scenes" side of things is, and I think everyone should show u all some appreciation.

Tank, never before have I seen such a person with a passion for what they do. You seemed to be on the go the whole weekend, just like the energiser bunny, never giving up. If it wasn't for you, and the rest of the admin team, these events would be much worse off, if even running at all.

I'm sure I'll think of something else to add in the near future.

I can't wait for Respawn V17.

--Shub0xx.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pexa
post Apr 12 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

The Quake3 Tournament needs to be run at a reasonable hour.
6am to start a comp is just silly. It only takes 1.5 hours to run so i'm sure it could be slotted in somewhere without interfering with the other cash comps.
I had people waiting hours and hours for it to happen so i could drive them home.

Annoucements, while essential for some things, were very distracting when playing in comps that relied on sound. Particuarly when trying to balance Game sounds with hearing your teammates in real life.
To be honest i don't have a direct solution to this but some announcements could be delivered visually on the projector combined with the respawn notifier application.

The big desk chairs are rather anoying when people are leaning back on them, particuarly when trying to get your equipment in/out. navigating your way through is quite anoying, and i am sure it is anoying for the people i am constantly bumping. most people were good and didn't lean back too far but some were flying business class on a A380.

Otherwise most gaming servers were lag free and main tournaments ran well.
Thanks for the efforts involved Admins
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
I.esus
post Apr 12 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

+1 for high back chairs being annoying.

People should be required to lock them upright so they can't lean back covering at least half the aisle.
It still gives them comfort, and leaves a bit more room for people to get through without bumping into them too much.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zantikk
post Apr 12 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

This is just a general discussion point and not directly related to v16 but more to Respawn itself.

It frustrates me that Respawn has turned into a massive Leech fest where it seems only 40% or so come to play games. In my previous threads I've been told Respawn isn't going to be "competition focused" and that people come for the "LANning atmosphere/party", in other words, leech a shitload and maybe catchup with a few onlines mates.

In posting this, I know I will get flamed by the Respawn veterans that come to respawn just to leech. But I'd really like to see Respawn become more gaming focused because it has so much potential.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Apr 12 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Zantikk @ Apr 12 2010, 04:35 PM) *
This is just a general discussion point and not directly related to v16 but more to Respawn itself.

It frustrates me that Respawn has turned into a massive Leech fest where it seems only 40% or so come to play games. In my previous threads I've been told Respawn isn't going to be "competition focused" and that people come for the "LANning atmosphere/party", in other words, leech a shitload and maybe catchup with a few onlines mates.

In posting this, I know I will get flamed by the Respawn veterans that come to respawn just to leech. But I'd really like to see Respawn become more gaming focused because it has so much potential.

i know how you feel, this has been a primary focus for me and squid for awhile, and a big part in increasing the prize money to get more people involved.

in regards to comps, this is a side affect of me trying todo so much that i get bogged down whilst other gets pushed aside, if anyone thinks they can help and has experiance in the area, please let me know, id like to bring more people on board

thanks

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post Apr 12 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #17
Blame him.

Next event:

QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Apr 12 2010, 02:56 PM) *
Unless there was other comments made while I was out of the hall, I think this comment relates to the announcement made by Zardoz about someone having a virus on their system, and when he finds it he'll toss it outside. Whether he meant it or not, I do not know, but I found myself concerned and in turn running virus scanners on my system to make sure it wasn't me.

Just to put this into perspective, the virus in question (Conficker) is capable of bringing down the entire network even with only one or two infected computers, and there's no easy way to work out whose computer it is. Of course he's not going to destroy someone else's property that's worth thousands of dollars, but considering the fact that this virus has caused problems at the last 4 events and that it's entirely possible to literally totally ruin the entire event as a result of nothing but one person's LAZINESS, I think he was actually quite civil about it.

Incidentally, Conficker's ability to cause damage isn't something that can be easily dealt with by reconfiguring the network; it remains a major and serious cause of damage to corporate networks. Even Microsoft have offered a $250,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the virus's creator(s).

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Apr 12 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (dead_man @ Apr 12 2010, 04:40 PM) *
in regards to comps, this is a side affect of me trying todo so much that i get bogged down whilst other gets pushed aside, if anyone thinks they can help and has experiance in the area, please let me know, id like to bring more people on board

thanks

What type of stuff? I know you guys get bogged down with stuff even with people just not being able to get on the network/being able to access a game.

I love respawn and wouldn't mind helping in any way I could.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 12 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (wolfmother @ Apr 12 2010, 04:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Apr 12 2010, 02:56 PM) *

Just to put this into perspective, the virus in question (Conficker) is capable of bringing down the entire network even with only one or two infected computers, and there's no easy way to work out whose computer it is. Of course he's not going to destroy someone else's property that's worth thousands of dollars, but considering the fact that this virus has caused problems at the last 4 events and that it's entirely possible to literally totally ruin the entire event as a result of nothing but one person's LAZINESS, I think he was actually quite civil about it.

Oooh, had I known it was that nasty bugger, I'd've understood completely. I've had issues with Conflicker in the past, with it bringing down corporate networks that I've been working on, so I understand his concern.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post Apr 12 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #20
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (dead_man @ Apr 12 2010, 04:40 PM) *

thanks

I'll put my hand up to help in any department that needs extra assistance.

--------------------
--Shub0xx
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:20 PM