2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lan Annalysis - CoD4 comp etc, Just a bit of a debate/info thread on CG
Tibor
post Aug 27 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #21
Player

Next event:

Personally i prefer to have no pro teams at respawn. With anymore than there is now 3/4 of the LAN would dissapear after the comp is over. Respawn is good because of the casual gamers. Its nice to be able to give a shout out to ppl that your playing game "x" and have some ppl join as opposed to saying no i only play COD.

Early respawns had cash prizes for comps yes, but they also had constant power and network issues. The cash prizes have given away to rock solid power and network. Also the FPS comps still have prizes, unlike many of the comps they used to have(dota for example). Think yourself lucky there is a prize at all or even a comp.

Another idea is if you want better prizes why dont you contact the admins and see if you can help. You talk to companies and get better prizes. Or is that to much of an effort for you? Remember that all of the admins and there lackys dont get paid.

If you dont like respawn dont come, it leaves more room for those who come and enjoy the experience.

Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DArenberg
post Aug 27 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #22
Player

Next event:

I'm for better prizes, for everyone! blink.gif

I'm afraid the technical, logistical and socio-demographic knowledge shown in the Cyber Gamer thread of running a live event with over 400 participants is obviously lacking and so is the usual standard of debate.

COD as all games that has come before and after; will die out, I do not understand the troll mentality of self proclaimed Pro gamers.

Lets just put another "Respawn COD Championship" win down so you can claim another free mouse mat and chalk another top 3 win for your yearly sponsorship quota.

In the words of Razer;

"eSports has come a long way. But sadly not sponsorships. All too often, amid the josting and hankering for scarce sponsorship resources, are emerging talents left to languish by the wayside, with a token product on one hand and broken promises on the other. "

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Queen Gainer
post Aug 27 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #23
Possibly the world's worst CS player

Next event:

Why are all the CoD4 players focused on prizes only? They don't go for fun.

Pretty shit imo.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 27 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #24
Player

Next event:

Surely you come for the atmosphere, the gaming and the comradery right? (I'm pretty sure I spelt one word wrong).

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Glasseater
post Aug 27 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #25
Player

Next event:

Yeah i want more money i think there should be a comp where they just give me all the money from the door also i want a pony.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
beeslol
post Aug 28 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #26
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Glasseater @ Aug 27 2011, 09:38 PM) *
Yeah i want more money i think there should be a comp where they just give me all the money from the door also i want a pony.

I'm sure we could rustle up a pony for you, probably between two slices of bread.

--------------------
You are not your 3dMark06 cpu score.
My blog... phear it and visit.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zardoz
post Aug 28 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #27
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

QUOTE (aNx @ Aug 26 2011, 09:09 PM) *
I just dont understand how the first respawn I went to cash prize was $500, and now the entry fee is more.. and the prize is less.

It's quite confusing. Without the players the even would be nothing - clearly. Yet, where is the incentives for competitive gamers to come or even the casual gamer? Leeching alone is not worth the $35 ticket.

Here's a secret - at the time, this wasn't profitable. We were losing money out of this model. Any event that loses money is not sustainable. We had to make some very snap decisions and cut down on these - yes, there was a bit of tension within the team when we made these changes but if we didn't, we wouldn't still be here.

We did this because, well, people like to win more! It's pretty obvious. We gave it a shot, it didn't work out.

We'd still sell out even if we didn't run a COD4 competition. We'll still continue to do this, as long as the community treats us with the respect we deserve and we see value in supporting this community - that's what it's about. Not paying the same teams to win over and over again.

We'd like to run some pro-oriented events in smaller venues, specifically catering to these particular communities. We just haven't figured out the best way to do this and to solve some of our big problems that prevent us from doing so (eg, fast Internet access and steam auth that will work). Once we've overcome these challenges, we'll be sure to put something on the table that you guys will love.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DArenberg
post Aug 29 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #28
Player

Next event:

Zardoz and everyone else that is involved from the admin team to the gophers,

As with everything in the world there will always be a minority of self evaluated hard done by oppressed people who believe they rightfully deserve society to sustain there existence.

Do not let these people take away from the support and gratitude of the mass majority who respect and value the efforts of a volunteer non profit organisation who's selflessness has shown very few boundaries.

Yes this is a shameless Pro Respawn post, but once in a while it is needed to be said .

Congratulations and thank you.

Edit: grammer

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cheb-
post Aug 31 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #29
Player

Next event:

OH I'M SO SORRY WE'RE NOT DREAMHACK sad.gif(((((((((((((((((((((
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Alioth
post Aug 31 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #30
Player

Next event:

I believe there should be cash prizes for Minesweeper. I'm totally pro and deserve the fat cash. This one time, I cleared it in one click! What's up now, n00bs?! Stop hatin'.

On a more serious note, while I don't condone more srs bsnss comp players at Respawn, killing the atmosphere, if they believe they're good enough to deserve a cash prize, they can pay a $100 premium 'pro' entry fee with the excess cash going to their prize.
I can hear the cries now...
"That's absurd! You can't expect us to take any risk for a greater reward. We want our shit for free!"

I fully support any extra dosh going back into the maintenance of the LAN. You guys do a crazy good job and I'd hate to see it collapse just to please a few people.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
beeslol
post Aug 31 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #31
Player

Next event:

I think Alioth kinda has a point.

If these comp teams want big prizes, then they should be willing for a buy in.
If they're as good as they think they are, then they should be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

--------------------
You are not your 3dMark06 cpu score.
My blog... phear it and visit.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rangers
post Sep 1 2011, 04:11 AM
Post #32
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (beeslol @ Aug 31 2011, 08:25 PM) *
I think Alioth kinda has a point.

If these comp teams want big prizes, then they should be willing for a buy in.
If they're as good as they think they are, then they should be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

'Nuff said.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Worthless
post Sep 4 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #33
Player

Next event:

Are we really talking about the possibility of attracting more arrogant "pro" gamers to the event who contribute nothing, are loud, obnoxious and rude to anyone who is not a "pro". No. Just no. Hell no.

It was worse enough having the pros ruin our good time the event before the last. I don't want to have to put up with that again.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 02:57 PM