Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> $100 to the person who can fix my computer!
Ishkah
post Mar 25 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

So I currently have a "professional" over trying to fix my computer, he's done everything from googling the problem (LMFAO) to formatting. He has no idea what's wrong.

What I did: I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, installed windows 7, and installed an ethernet driver.

What's wrong with it: It won't load certain webpages, for example, ninemsn, skype. & it also won't download certain things, namely Steam. So basically it's being racist to certain things.

I need help ASAP!
I live in the Frankston area.
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VampyreCyrus
post Mar 25 2013, 05:55 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Ishkah @ Mar 25 2013, 04:25 PM) *
So I currently have a "professional" over trying to fix my computer, he's done everything from googling the problem (LMFAO) to formatting. He has no idea what's wrong.

What I did: I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, installed windows 7, and installed an ethernet driver.

What's wrong with it: It won't load certain webpages, for example, ninemsn, skype. & it also won't download certain things, namely Steam. So basically it's being racist to certain things.

I need help ASAP!
I live in the Frankston area.

wouldn't 7 have the drivers already installed?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 25 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

wouldn't 7 have the drivers already installed?
[/quote]

No, windows update also doesn't work.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Mar 25 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

Formatting won't fix the problem. (correction: It MAY fix the problem)

Sounds like a DNS issue more than anything, however if the DNS issue is in the modem/router then factory reset/reconfigure will fix that.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 25 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Mar 25 2013, 09:42 PM) *
Formatting won't fix the problem. (correction: It MAY fix the problem)

Sounds like a DNS issue more than anything, however if the DNS issue is in the modem/router then factory reset/reconfigure will fix that.

Yeah.. I'll try that tomorrow. If it doesn't work and daniel can't fix it, you have to! assuming you are the same jeffy i think you are.
But you'd think the computer tech guy would of done that.. but he didn't.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Mar 26 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

Can you describe the problem in more detail?

What happens?
How do you trigger it?
What browsers have you tried?
What errors do you get?
Can you check your address settings? Control panel > network and sharing centre > click on local area connection and click details. What are the domain settings?

Have you dumped browser cookies/cache? As a corrupt cache can stop a file that was a failed download trying again as it will use the cache.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 120G Intel 330SSD, Asus GTX760 and Asus P8Z-77V-Pro
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 26 2013, 11:14 AM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Jeffy @ Mar 26 2013, 11:01 AM) *
Can you describe the problem in more detail?

What happens?
How do you trigger it?
What browsers have you tried?
What errors do you get?
Can you check your address settings? Control panel > network and sharing centre > click on local area connection and click details. What are the domain settings?

Have you dumped browser cookies/cache? As a corrupt cache can stop a file that was a failed download trying again as it will use the cache.

The only error message i get is that the website is online but i can't connect to it.
If I try to open Skype.com it won't load
I've tried chrome, firefox and IE10.
I wouldn't have any, it's been formatted 3 times now.
I'll check my setting later on
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Camaran
post Mar 26 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

If you connected another computer/laptop/phone to the network, does it get the same problem?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 26 2013, 04:30 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Camaran @ Mar 26 2013, 02:38 PM) *
If you connected another computer/laptop/phone to the network, does it get the same problem?

No, it's just my computer
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sephyrr
post Mar 26 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

Try changing your router/network card. Either that or could be Firewall settings or your router Firewall settings.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Mar 26 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

I don't think it's a firewall issue as the firewall would knock everything out...

check the following file (using Notepad run as Administrator)
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

See if there is anything in the hosts file for those websites. If there is, remove it and save the file.

Try ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns
then reattempt to connect.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
soulink
post Mar 27 2013, 02:15 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

Another try go into your network settings and go into the IPV4 properties of your network car.

Let the IP address accept a DHCP request but set the DNS to static and make it this.

Primary 8.8.8.8
Secondary 8.8.4.4

See if that fixes ur issue, That way you are using Google's DNS instead of ur ISP.

Also if you do a fresh reload and ONLY load the network driver does it still have this issue?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Mar 27 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #13
^_^

Next event:

Reset your TCP/IP stack configuration:
start -> command prompt -> run as an admin (right click to select this option) -> type "netsh ip int reset" (or maybe it's netsh int ip reset), then press enter. If the first doesn't work, try the second. It wont hurt anything to put the wrong one in. Reboot.

Then, if that doesn't work, try changing the "MTU" of your network card to 1400. Follow this link, put '1400' in place of nnnn in the command: http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/11/se...dows-vista.html

Then, if that doesn't work, go to device manager, delete the network card, reboot. The system will re-detect the card and re-install the driver again, resetting any potentially broken driver settings.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 27 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

Thank you everyone for your help! The problem is with my router, and I have no clue how to even begin fixing a router problem, so seeing as theirs two routers down there, I plugged into the other one.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Mar 27 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Ishkah @ Mar 27 2013, 09:39 PM) *
Thank you everyone for your help! The problem is with my router, and I have no clue how to even begin fixing a router problem, so seeing as theirs two routers down there, I plugged into the other one.

2 routers? for 1 connection?

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
totalfrenzy
post Mar 27 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Ishkah @ Mar 27 2013, 09:39 PM) *

Make sure you have DHCP turned off!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
soulink
post Mar 28 2013, 09:08 AM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

I think he has most likely got a modem (cable or adsl) and a router. Maybe take some photo's of the 2 devices and the model numbers and we can help you configure properly smile.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ishkah
post Mar 28 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

Yeah two routers because there's so many people connected and not enough ports. My brother set it up, I know jack shit about routers and modems, but Thankyou again for your help everyone!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sephyrr
post Mar 30 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

Knew it was a router problem lol. You can factory reset your router by using a pin/pen and pushing it into the back of the router inside this small hole and hold it for 15 seconds. If you can't do that, your router manual should tell you how to factory reset. If not, google it.
Once you've done that, you can just setup your internet connection again. If that STILL doesn't work, it's probably a faulty router and you'll need to buy a new one.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jen
post Apr 1 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #20
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Ishkah @ Mar 28 2013, 11:03 PM) *
Yeah two routers because there's so many people connected and not enough ports. My brother set it up, I know jack shit about routers and modems, but Thankyou again for your help everyone!

If you don't have enough ports, rather than buying another router, get a switch instead. This way you only have "1 router" and "1 switch" to stop this from reoccuring.

Glad we got it all fixed for you.

--------------------
Jen

Gaming Rig:
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:58 AM