Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prepaid registration FAQ
Sando
post May 27 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #1
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

Did you always charge $50 for a LAN?
We're in 2020 now. Inflation, real-estate prices etc are a thing. And sadly we've had to do so, as it literally costs this much money to run the LAN now. Nobody makes a dime out of this; the cash goes straight back in to making these LANs the best they can be.

Do I get a guaranteed seat if I prepay?
Yes. There will be a seat for you for the entirety of the LAN.

Can I reserve a seat/group of seats if I prepay?
Yes. We're opening seat bookings shortly™.

Can I pick the exact seat where my booking is?
No, however you may indicate where you would prefer to sit.

How do I pay for more than one player?
If paying via PayPal:
You will need to make a manual payment through PayPal to payments@respawn.com.au. All the players you wish to pay for must be registered for the event first. In the description, you must quote the names of the players (this is the name they display as in the player list, not their login name) that you wish the pay for.

If paying via Direct Deposit:
PM Zardoz on the forums (or message him on Discord, preferred) for more information.

Can I get a refund?
Short answer: maybe. We don't traditionally give refunds for change of mind, but please get in touch if you run into trouble.

Please see this post about our policy on refunds, particularly this section:
The problem here is this: if you cancel two days before the event (and this is the timeframe when you are likely to know that you can't attend, i.e. illness, family emergency and so on), we would have already catered for you in our planning and thusly would not only need to refund you but would lose money on the seat we have provided for you. At short notice, it's hard to reallocate this seat to another person as by then, the majority of people on the waiting list would have assumed they cannot attend and may have made other plans.

If the event is cancelled or rescheduled, all prepaid tickets will be refunded.

I just paid for my registration and it's still asking me to pay! What's going on?
The system will not show you as being paid until we have approved the transaction, which may take up to 72 hours if you do not have a valid credit card on your PayPal account. Please do not send us another payment in the meantime. If you have waited longer than this and you are still showing up as unpaid, please send us a message on Discord and we'll get on top of it.

I don't have access to a printer to print my ticket.
That's fine, all you need to do is write down the code below the barcode on the online ticket and bring that with you to the event.

Other question not listed here?
Post below, or ping one of us on Discord. We're more than happy to answer any questions you have
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Redback
post May 28 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

GFC is the new excuse for everything.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post May 28 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Redback @ May 28 2010, 12:50 PM) *

But it's not an excuse smile.gif every *single* one of our costs have risen, from venue, to the cans of drink. We do apologise for the increase, but it did need to happen.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post May 28 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #4
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

If someone is registered as number 401, are they able to pre-pay?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sando
post May 28 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #5
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

Yes, as long as we haven't reached the pre-pay player cap. That is, there's a limit on the number of prepaid registrations we'll take.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post May 28 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (priorax @ May 28 2010, 09:32 PM) *
If someone is registered as number 401, are they able to pre-pay?

QUOTE (Sando @ May 28 2010, 09:37 PM) *
Yes, as long as we haven't reached the pre-pay player cap. That is, there's a limit on the number of prepaid registrations we'll take.

I disagree with this. If someone is in position 401, they should b made to wait til confirmation b4 they can pre-pay, and then only if the cap hasn't been reached.

Why? Because allowing anyone 401+ to prepay pushes another person out who registered in the top 400, b4 they get an opportunity to confirm their position.

--------------------
--Shub0xx
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post May 29 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

pity you guys didnt hook into the paypal API so payments can happen full auto in real time.

https://www.paypal-business.com.au/our-prod...xpress_Checkout

there are tonnes of php classes that do the work for you, or cpan has good ones for the perl-ists wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post May 29 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #8
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (Shub0xx @ May 28 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Why? Because allowing anyone 401+ to prepay pushes another person out who registered in the top 400, b4 they get an opportunity to confirm their position.

It doens't matter what order you confirm/pay in - the only order that matters is registration.

QUOTE (djzort @ May 29 2010, 12:00 AM) *
pity you guys didnt hook into the paypal API so payments can happen full auto in real time.

It is a pity, eh? Our budget doesn't allow for enough peanuts to pay the monkeys to code that much.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
priorax
post May 29 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #9
TF2 Comp Guy

Next event:

If there is an echeque clearing for pre-paid as number 200 hits (not that I think this will happen with me), what will happen to the users $35?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post May 29 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #10
^_^

Next event:

We're a bit lenient - we aren't going to be that strict about it.

(to clarify, the 201st person who sends an eCheque will still be able to prepay)

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Redback
post May 30 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Tank @ May 28 2010, 01:05 PM) *

But it's not an excuse smile.gif every *single* one of our costs have risen, from venue, to the cans of drink. We do apologise for the increase, but it did need to happen.

Just because its a valid excuse, doesn't mean its not an excuse.

Its actually the difference between an excuse and a reason.

The only debate is if upstream costs are being increased for genuine reasons, or just because they can put them up and say GFC and people will accept it.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post May 30 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Redback @ May 30 2010, 01:23 PM) *
QUOTE (Tank @ May 28 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Just because its a valid excuse, doesn't mean its not an excuse.

Its actually the difference between an excuse and a reason.

The only debate is if upstream costs are being increased for genuine reasons, or just because they can put them up and say GFC and people will accept it.

Well we actually needed to increase the player cost so that we could afford to run the event. last event we attempted to absorb the increased costs without raising the price, but unfortunately we have had to raise the entry fee.

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post May 30 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ May 29 2010, 01:14 AM) *
QUOTE (djzort @ May 29 2010, 12:00 AM) *

It is a pity, eh? Our budget doesn't allow for enough peanuts to pay the monkeys to code that much.

Thats a bit embarrassing that none of your admins can knock up some quick php around an open source API tongue.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sando
post May 30 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #14
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

Implementing a fully-automated system would have been easy enough but I wasn't willing to put that forward without dedicating a solid amount of time testing the system. Considering we only had a few hours to knock something up, I think we did OK.

We'll have fully-automated payments next event.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GerrySly
post May 30 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

I reckon what you have is better (as long as you guys are willing to manually confirm) because it allows for a more personal touch. Though automatic Paid (when I get redirected back form paypal) beside my name would be badass
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wolfmother
post May 30 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #16
Blame him.

Next event:

QUOTE (djzort @ May 30 2010, 03:01 PM) *
Thats a bit embarrassing that none of your admins can knock up some quick php around an open source API tongue.gif

When it comes to code that handles money, there is absolutely, positively zero margin for error. The only code that can be "quickly knocked up" is code that you absolutely, positively know works flawlessly. If there's not enough time to test it completely exhaustively - plus a whole lot extra - before go time, it's not good enough. You can get into very serious trouble very quickly with even small mistakes in money handling code (have a look at what happened to DreamHost).

--------------------
http://www.prolapsoft.com - Wolfmother's AV & Net Software
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GIARUS
post May 31 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Sando @ May 27 2010, 04:10 PM) *
What happens to people >400 on the list who prepay?
People anywhere on the list who prepay will be moved above everyone else on the list. Once the shuffle is complete, the list will go in the following order: Prepays -> Confirmed -> Non confirmed.
In other words, the best way to guarantee yourself a spot is to prepay.
(Please note there is a cap on the amount of prepays we will accept)

so say if a player is at number 400 who has registered but doesn't have paypal but wishes to pay at the event now if u say a player who is in the waiting list can pay that person gets knocked down to 401 thus making him unable to come to respawn
is this correct
cause if it is that is total and utter bullshit and unfair

--------------------

The internet! Where men are men, Women are men & underage teens are FBI agents
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post May 31 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #18
Hueg.

Next event:

I understand this may make it harder for some people who cannot prepay. We have tried to create a balance by capping the possible prepaid numbers at 200. Some lans ONLY accept prepaid registrations. and some others will only sell tickets at computer fairs and PC stores etc...

Respawn has operated a 400+ player event 16 times, with only the assumption that we would get enough players through the door. This is no longer a viable strategy for us. While we had over 800 people register for respawn 16, we did not fill the event. Honestly, we find it unfair to cater for 500 people when 350-400 turn up. It is hard from a budgeting perspective and downright unfair to people who are on the waiting list who no longer think they can attend. However, due to these budgeting problems we need to have a prepaid registration system in place.

Also, remember, just because you are player 401 now, DOES NOT mean you will be player 401 during the confirmation period where were we bump down unconfirmed players. Nor does it mean that you will be unable to attend Respawn even if you are on the waiting list. This just means that players in the top 400 who have CONFIRMED or PREPAID, get a guaranteed seat.

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shub0xx
post May 31 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #19
Player

Next event:

I'm curious now. Once confirmations open, does prepay end, or is that going to stay open til the event if the cap isn't reached?

My issue is, particularly for those who confirm in the high 380's+, will a prepay bump them out of the guaranteed placing and into waiting?

--------------------
--Shub0xx
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post May 31 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #20
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (Shub0xx @ May 31 2010, 12:49 PM) *
I'm curious now. Once confirmations open, does prepay end, or is that going to stay open til the event if the cap isn't reached?

My issue is, particularly for those who confirm in the high 380's+, will a prepay bump them out of the guaranteed placing and into waiting?

Prepay will remain open until either a week (or two, I'm not certain) before the event OR the 200 prepay limit has been reached (you can see how many have prepaied thus far in the player list for v17)

You should also consider that there will be people above you in the list that will not confirm. If you are worried about getting knocked out of the 400, you should consider prepaying.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:01 PM