Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Respawn 12: Soviet Lanski De-Brief Thread!, for Comments, Criticism, etc!
fletchdawg
post Jul 9 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #21
Player

Next event:

yeah i understand dude just compared what we normally would of got from a cod comp with the number pf players woulda been larger thats all ;d we still had heaps of fun dont get me wrong, we will be there @ the next respawn and we will be brining more decent teams to the event you guys should really get in touch with cybergamer its the biggest site for competitive e sports in australia www.cybergamer.com.au

--------------------

x4 CoD4 Champion
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rangers
post Jul 10 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #22
Player

Next event:

Let me say, it was my first respawn and a great experience in that. As for the comps, ill agree with atticus we needed to have the rules set n stuff to ozfortress lol. Like everyone has been saying prize money is pretty much more you put in more people will attend, but with you guys pulling numbers like that you should just get sponsors im sure there will be companies out there. As for complaints, i will say i was on a full table and thus being late in getting there had the issue of not being able to plug in my computer to the hub. Had to get a switch which was failing while i was trying to compete in the cs comp lol and then had to go down to 100mbit connection which really doesnt matter its just a bit of a hassle to waste time and have a member of the respawn team run around like a headless chook trying to get it all working.

As for the css comp it needed to be more structured with rules and regulations for not being on time and all that it was a bit hard getting organised lol, like if a comp is supposed to start at 8 you expect it to get going within 5-10 minutes so having the servers loaded with warmod and all that but thats just a small thing.

On the upside, ill definitely be trying to get in for the next one if my life permits it lol. All the respawn staff were very friendly and accommodating so good job guys and will see you guys next time hopefully.

-Rangers/sNiPes4u
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jul 10 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #23
Player

Next event:

i can see where people are coming from in regards to prize money however Respawn LAN has never been about the money for the comps. we just want people to enjoy themselves. (which by the sounds of it everyone is)

the CS Comp was my fault, i was never in control of CS before and was pretty much stuffed after cod4. another guy usually takes care of it so i had nfi what was going on.

saying to bring sponsers onboard for comps at this stage is extremely hard seeing as we are coming out of the ass end of a recession, not many people are willing to throw money away for sponsership at this point in time.

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Patryn
post Jul 11 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #24
Player

Next event:

meh... monies isn't important. fun is!

Ranger had a point about not having enough ports in the switch, though... is that only coz you didn't have a long enough cable? or there were actually no ports left on the switch?

I think Respawn isn't as scalable as many people think... I think the most fun I've had at a Respawn was when it was still around 350 people! now that there's more, it's still fun, but it doesn't have the same community atmosphere!

It was interesting the fact that there were 600+ registrations, and 450+ confirmations and we still ended up with only 421 people! *shakes head*
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
LolSauce
post Jul 11 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #25
Player

Next event:

If there wasn't enough ports on the switch, my guess is someone had 2 things plugged into it :S

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dead_man
post Jul 11 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #26
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Patryn @ Jul 11 2009, 09:46 AM) *
meh... monies isn't important. fun is!

Ranger had a point about not having enough ports in the switch, though... is that only coz you didn't have a long enough cable? or there were actually no ports left on the switch?

I think Respawn isn't as scalable as many people think... I think the most fun I've had at a Respawn was when it was still around 350 people! now that there's more, it's still fun, but it doesn't have the same community atmosphere!

It was interesting the fact that there were 600+ registrations, and 450+ confirmations and we still ended up with only 421 people! *shakes head*

the thing with this is that we normally get around 40-50 no shows. the fact that we only had 29 MIA is good.

also some people probley didnt show up due to thinking they wouldnt get in

--------------------

WTB: Decent HAWX Team :P
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Patryn
post Jul 12 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #27
Player

Next event:

yeah... that's what I figured... too bad though! maybe you should do what the airlines do and overbook every flight and then figure it out from there! hahaha
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Jul 12 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #28
Player

Next event:

Hey,

I believe this is because one port is used for uplink smile.gif

-Tank

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jul 12 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #29
Hueg.

Next event:

QUOTE (Tank @ Jul 12 2009, 10:16 AM) *

Hey,

I believe this is because one port is used for uplink smile.gif

-Tank

This is correct, the switches we had for this event had no dedicated uplink ports, so we were forced to use 1 port per table as uplink.... made for an interesting experience when the tables filled up smile.gif

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Harkonnen
post Jul 12 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #30
Player

Next event:

just my $0.02.

I was invited to v6 by a friend of mine, loved it, told my brother and his friends, and my other friends, and now about 20+ of us drive up together or staggered from Werribee to every Respawn.

We love sitting next to each other and all playing the same games together, whether its UT2k4/Flat Out 2 or crazy ones little ones like Soldat/Teeworlds. Comparing our crazy leeching and marvelling at the ~300TB of data that whizzes around the network. Going out together to chow at Smorgys/Macdonals/Nandos at 9pm, grabbing the midnight barbeque and the wonderful morning fryup, all the while going through enough junk food and energy drinks to feed an african country for a week. Winding down at 5am with some old cartoons or the latest episodes of BSG through headphone splitters. Packing up our computers in the glaring morning light for the hour trip home. Walking around admiring some of the great rigs and setups people have (guy next to me at v10 had a beast inside of a 286 case, was great).
Respawn is like a carnival of win, but if you set it up with sponsporship and make it more competition based, it would really lose appeal for the 20+ group I go with. If 450 is the max amount of players you can host without changing venues/event style, I hope you keep Respawn as-is for as long as possible.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
LolSauce
post Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #31
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Harkonnen @ Jul 12 2009, 11:41 PM) *
just my $0.02.

I was invited to v6 by a friend of mine, loved it, told my brother and his friends, and my other friends, and now about 20+ of us drive up together or staggered from Werribee to every Respawn.

We love sitting next to each other and all playing the same games together, whether its UT2k4/Flat Out 2 or crazy ones little ones like Soldat/Teeworlds. Comparing our crazy leeching and marvelling at the ~300TB of data that whizzes around the network. Going out together to chow at Smorgys/Macdonals/Nandos at 9pm, grabbing the midnight barbeque and the wonderful morning fryup, all the while going through enough junk food and energy drinks to feed an african country for a week. Winding down at 5am with some old cartoons or the latest episodes of BSG through headphone splitters. Packing up our computers in the glaring morning light for the hour trip home. Walking around admiring some of the great rigs and setups people have (guy next to me at v10 had a beast inside of a 286 case, was great).
Respawn is like a carnival of win, but if you set it up with sponsporship and make it more competition based, it would really lose appeal for the 20+ group I go with. If 450 is the max amount of players you can host without changing venues/event style, I hope you keep Respawn as-is for as long as possible.

+1

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Harkonnen
post Jul 13 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #32
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (LolSauce @ Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM) *
+1

I guess in my tl;dr rant, I was just trying to say why I disagreed with the guy who suggested Respawn needs to get out there/advertise more/get more people/become more competitive. Everyone I know is happy with it exactly as run.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
LolSauce
post Jul 13 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #33
Player

Next event:

Yeah, I complete agree.

I've always enjoyed respawn for the people there... Not the gaming or comps. Most of the time I go, set my PC up and thats it. Just chat to people =]

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MeaTM@n
post Jul 16 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #34
Player

Next event:

I always thought the money was a little incentive to play a bit more seriously.

Respawn is a fun event! Lets keep it that way.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rei
post Jul 18 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #35
Player

Next event:

Complaints: Proper TF2 rules and some sort of internet access.

Compliments: fucking well done, had heaps of fun. wouldn't miss the next one for anything
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Jul 18 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #36
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (Rei @ Jul 18 2009, 12:53 AM) *
Complaints: Proper TF2 rules and some sort of internet access.

Giving 450 people internet access requires lots of internet. If the pipe isn't big enough, we'll get people bitching the net is so slow. And given before v12, the only internet we've had was someone's 3G, and at v12 it was a 700-odd kbps connection, we didn't have room for much more than steam.

Regardless of speeds, if it were my choice, I'd keep internet for steam and misc game auth (such as starcraft II when it comes out) - if you're bored, grab a casual game, go for a walk, have a chat, go meet someone new, grab some food etc. Personally, I find those times to be the most fun of a LAN - I've met so many awesome people this way.

As for TF2, I'm planning to use CEVO next time. Subject to change, but it will be different to v12 and betterer.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 01:48 AM