Full Version: Quake 3 Comp at Respawn 15
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Gaming
Tree_
Do it. That is all.
Grover
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Dec 5 2009, 01:42 PM) *
Do it. That is all.

respect tree.

I agree respawn.. your just not rugged until u go oldskool Q3.

Support the retro yo.

down with ut lol... seriously tongue.gif
SirSquidness
Funny you should say that, I heard whispers that a possible 1v1 tournament was on the books.

(I think we even have a quake player organised to organise it)
TechL
I might join in if there's a comp
Tree_
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Dec 5 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Funny you should say that, I heard whispers that a possible 1v1 tournament was on the books.

Sounds lovely, wonder who it could be though that's organizing it. Didn't think Vic had many Quake players.
Grover
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Dec 7 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Sounds lovely, wonder who it could be though that's organizing it. Didn't think Vic had many Quake players.

and im from sydney tongue.gif

i'll tell u what.. i'll match respawn dollar for dollar on a small trophy. Call it the quakers cup. if a victorian wins the cup stays with respawn. if a new south welshman wins i take the trophy home, in safe keeping until next qc comp at the end of the year.

Grover
Plus bragging rights lol. state origin style.

REPRESENT FOOL !
Maelstrom
QUOTE (Hoodlum @ Dec 12 2009, 06:07 AM) *

REPRESENT FOOL !

Aaaaaand....THE TASMANIAN WINS IT!
Grover
QUOTE (Maelstrom @ Dec 12 2009, 07:22 AM) *

REPRESENT FOOL !

see.. joy all round, if it does go ahead tho, I think the trophy should stay in victoria. u own it for 12 months, but it remains with the respawn staff... only way to ensure it dosnt go missing

go taz go tongue.gif
Grover
QUOTE (Hoodlum @ Dec 12 2009, 01:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Maelstrom @ Dec 12 2009, 07:22 AM) *

REPRESENT FOOL !

see.. joy all round, if it does go ahead tho, I think the trophy should stay in victoria. u own it for 12 months, but it remains with the respawn staff... only way to ensure it dosnt go missing

go taz go tongue.gif

UNless.. another major lan group from that state is present and willing to partcipate. then the trophy could stay there.

food 4 thawt
GIARUS
Question is if u remember last respawn i had a q3 problem with the mouse not working shuld see if u can find out and fix anything before this event goes on its way
Grover
Has any1 managed to get q3 working in 64bit 7 ??

I dual boot between xp and 7 so it's all good. still, there must be a way round
GIARUS
QUOTE (Hoodlum @ Dec 13 2009, 11:58 AM) *
Has any1 managed to get q3 working in 64bit 7 ??

I dual boot between xp and 7 so it's all good. still, there must be a way round

all we can really suggest is googling the matter
SirSquidness
I have no issues with Q3A in Win 7 64-bit, fully up to date.

Q2, on the other hand, does not work.
Grover
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Dec 13 2009, 07:18 PM) *
I have no issues with Q3A in Win 7 64-bit, fully up to date.

Q2, on the other hand, does not work.

*Sigh... if your old enough to remember ActionQuake2 u know what evry1 else missed out on tongue.gif

I know it wont happen but aq2 match would be mad fun 4 old times..
Grover
K q3's on 7 (and i didnt even have 2 google lol) - my only prob was installing.. win7 just wouldnt install from iso - boot xp, install, copy directory, patch.

Tho now i got black lines running through my screen. vsync has no effect. if any1 has any suggestions would greatly b appreciated.

Squid what gc u running?

64bit 7 so much better than vista, tho im happy i'm still dual booting with xp.. particularly if most of your fav games were made more then a decade ago smile.gif
GIARUS
I Hope The finally got that simpsons map i gave the admins last time for quake 3 if they got it 2 work
and i have an original quake 1,2 ,3, 4 discs
im a big quake fan biggrin.gif
R4N
That did look rather cool Giarus

And Hoodlum... i am very interested in this idea of yours, leave it with me tongue.gif
pexa
Can we have it as a CPM (Challenge pro mode) comp? as it is much more balanced for running a duel comp for Q3
the weapons are more balanced, the movement is better, the spawns are better, instant weapon switching and the game is much more configurable.
The package is here: http://www.promode.org/index_old.php?mode=...=134&dl=134

GIARUS
QUOTE (R4N @ Dec 17 2009, 11:10 AM) *

And Hoodlum... i am very interested in this idea of yours, leave it with me tongue.gif

Can we use the simpsons map in the comp cause that way no one knows the map
i don't even now it cause i didn't now how to get it to work

Also whats the rules for the 1v1 comp
tass
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jan 13 2010, 12:27 AM) *

IMO its better if you know the map not some map that no one knows and that turns out to be shit
priorax
QUOTE (tass @ Jan 14 2010, 01:05 PM) *

IMO its better if you know the map not some map that no one knows and that turns out to be shit

Yes, but having a map noone knows makes it slightly more fair
Nyarlathotep
QUOTE (priorax @ Jan 14 2010, 02:05 PM) *

I'm surprised nobody has stepped in to clarify how this comp will run
And even more surprised at the serious suggestion of having the novelty simpsons CAPTURE THE FLAG map offered.

In brief, there's certain maps you do and don't play for 1v1 'duel'.
Some maps are multi-purpose, offering great TDM and Duel play. Or CTF and TDM, or TDM and FFA, other combinations therein.
Most maps are unsuitable for duel in many ways, offering layouts too unfair for a player who just died, powerups and pickups too numerous, or just plain stupid space maps (NO Q3DM17 GODDAMN I KNOW YOU KIDS LOVE THE RAILGUN BUT KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS)

The Quake communities and professional comps have watered down the maplist to ones that everyone can agree from, with the duellers choosing a map each from the map pool and playing a "best of three", with the final map played being decided by the player who lost the last round.

It's up to the competition organisers how they want to arrange the duels, ie: ladder, round robin, best of x, etc. but ultimately the most important thing here is the map pool.

May I suggest these from Vanilla Quake3 1.32 Point Release and the CPM Mappack as very popular and entertaining duel maps:

1. PRO-Q3DM6 (The Campgrounds)
  2. PRO-Q3TOURNEY2 (The Proving Grounds)
  3. PRO-Q3DM13 (Lost World)
  4. PRO-Q3TOURNEY4 (Vertical Vengeance)
  5. HUB3AEROQ3/CPM22 (Aerowalk)
  6. CPM3A (Use and Abuse)

And additionally any remakes of Quake1's duel maps (q3q1dm2/4/6) and Quake2's DM1 (Edge) should be a lot of fun as good but nonstandard duel maps.

Decide whether to set 15 minute or 10 minute duels and if there's any special rules for the final, ie: best of 5.

As for the Vanilla Quake3 vs Challenge Promode options, I think although the game is more balanced, newbies will be punished more by the experienced CPM players, leading to a more obvious and visible skill divide. I'm for either version of Q3, but vanilla just seems easiest to run. Forcing interested players to learn how to run the CPM mod will turn a few away. TBH my CPM still drops to the menu when I join a server. :/

Wanna see this happen (y)
SirSquidness
Rules are coming.

Patience young padawan.

Blame DeadMan.
pexa
QUOTE (Nyarlathotep @ Jan 14 2010, 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (priorax @ Jan 14 2010, 02:05 PM) *

I'm surprised nobody has stepped in to clarify how this comp will run
And even more surprised at the serious suggestion of having the novelty simpsons CAPTURE THE FLAG map offered.

In brief, there's certain maps you do and don't play for 1v1 'duel'.
Some maps are multi-purpose, offering great TDM and Duel play. Or CTF and TDM, or TDM and FFA, other combinations therein.
Most maps are unsuitable for duel in many ways, offering layouts too unfair for a player who just died, powerups and pickups too numerous, or just plain stupid space maps (NO Q3DM17 GODDAMN I KNOW YOU KIDS LOVE THE RAILGUN BUT KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS)

The Quake communities and professional comps have watered down the maplist to ones that everyone can agree from, with the duellers choosing a map each from the map pool and playing a "best of three", with the final map played being decided by the player who lost the last round.

It's up to the competition organisers how they want to arrange the duels, ie: ladder, round robin, best of x, etc. but ultimately the most important thing here is the map pool.

May I suggest these from Vanilla Quake3 1.32 Point Release and the CPM Mappack as very popular and entertaining duel maps:

1. PRO-Q3DM6 (The Campgrounds)
  2. PRO-Q3TOURNEY2 (The Proving Grounds)
  3. PRO-Q3DM13 (Lost World)
  4. PRO-Q3TOURNEY4 (Vertical Vengeance)
  5. HUB3AEROQ3/CPM22 (Aerowalk)
  6. CPM3A (Use and Abuse)

And additionally any remakes of Quake1's duel maps (q3q1dm2/4/6) and Quake2's DM1 (Edge) should be a lot of fun as good but nonstandard duel maps.

Decide whether to set 15 minute or 10 minute duels and if there's any special rules for the final, ie: best of 5.

As for the Vanilla Quake3 vs Challenge Promode options, I think although the game is more balanced, newbies will be punished more by the experienced CPM players, leading to a more obvious and visible skill divide. I'm for either version of Q3, but vanilla just seems easiest to run. Forcing interested players to learn how to run the CPM mod will turn a few away. TBH my CPM still drops to the menu when I join a server. :/

Wanna see this happen (y)

Agree with most, however i think ztndm3 should be included as it is probably THE best dueling map for q3, i dunno about T2, it's not that great.
i think normal DM13 is better then pro DM13 as most people will remember DM13 standard as opposed to pro DM13, also they play standard DM13 at pro tournaments anyway.
my maplist would go
-Ztntourney3
-DM13
-ProTourney4
-ProDM6
-Hub Aero

Players eliminate 1 map each and play BO3
I.esus
QUOTE (priorax @ Jan 14 2010, 03:05 PM) *

Uh, isn't half of Quake (and most competitive FPS, actually) ABOUT map knowledge?!
Grover
Basic unpro dm13.. (if u can rape on pro ull pwn on unpro), vote on it.. + instagib

ffa first to 500

winner takes all, evry1 rejoices.

gg wink.gif
priorax
QUOTE (I.esus @ Jan 15 2010, 12:39 PM) *
QUOTE (priorax @ Jan 14 2010, 03:05 PM) *

Uh, isn't half of Quake (and most competitive FPS, actually) ABOUT map knowledge?!

And the more you read my posts, the more you will learn I am lacking in that thing most people call logic.
atticus
I'm not an experienced Quake player but I have played a bit of QL so I'm pretty keen for this. If this is going to be a major comp, please don't add stupid maps, use real duel maps and rules as suggested by Nyarlathotep/pexa. Choosing a map players won't know won't make a Quake tournament fair, it'll make it retarded. Making the map list known in advance is the most helpful thing you can do to make it fair, so people unfamiliar with the maps have a chance to scope them out before the tourney.

re CPMA: CPMA is cool but as Nyar mentioned will make the tourney less accessible. Probably best to stick with vanilla
dead_man
ok,

even though im still toying with a Q3 Comp it will probley be TDM or 1v1 or something similar,

it wont be a comp like on the level of CSS/COD4/TF2 but more a funcomp.

at this stage its still being thought of and ill keep people informed, im at another LAN in SA atm so ill get to work on it once im back in melb.
Nyarlathotep
QUOTE (Grover @ Jan 15 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Basic unpro dm13.. (if u can rape on pro ull pwn on unpro), vote on it.. + instagib

ffa first to 500

winner takes all, evry1 rejoices.

gg wink.gif

You're kidding right.

Anyway, the T2 inclusion was just a bad little idea 'cause a bunch of euros I know happen to loev T2 tongue.gif I wouldn't actually vote it myself
With experienced players it's almost as bad as DM1.

And also vanilla Q3DM13 is go, forgot that the non-pro version of the map was closer to its QL counterpart. Wouldn't mind seeing CPM22 Use and Abuse in the tourney simply cause i've never had a chance to play on it myself, it looks awesome. Same with Aerowalk.

Also, 1v1 ftw.
Grover
haha.. whats wrong with insta gib?? lol

just keep it simple is all I'm sayin, as was said earlier it's not quakecon, I'm not even sure if prizes are lined up other than bragging rights.. just good ole fashioned fun, which ul be having stax of if ur half descent no matter how u look at it.

For those who dont play it religiously they can get in without having to leech and learn maps so probably more ppl will participate, and theoretically the best players should own them regardless. If you've been playing long enough u'll remember the default maps.. even after a big break u remember the layouts pretty quick.

''Neva forget Daniel san.. a true master adapts constantly to his environment'' ph34r.gif
CrackBaby
ignore
pexa
QUOTE (Grover @ Jan 16 2010, 06:43 AM) *

just keep it simple is all I'm sayin, as was said earlier it's not quakecon, I'm not even sure if prizes are lined up other than bragging rights.. just good ole fashioned fun, which ul be having stax of if ur half descent no matter how u look at it.

For those who dont play it religiously they can get in without having to leech and learn maps so probably more ppl will participate, and theoretically the best players should own them regardless. If you've been playing long enough u'll remember the default maps.. even after a big break u remember the layouts pretty quick.

''Neva forget Daniel san.. a true master adapts constantly to his environment'' ph34r.gif

Yeah FFA spamfests are not really fun, more frustrating then anything else.
I don't care about prizes or bragging rights, just wanna play some good 1v1 matches, that's what i consider fun.
just cause it isn't a serious comp doesn't mean it has to have stupid rules/maps that just frustrate players that actually want to play.
GIARUS
Ok ill blame deadman (Pm's deadman: Blame lewis blame lewis blame lewis)
Grover
I'm pretty sure everyone in the server will actually want to play.. no questions there, im all for 1v1 or tdm it just takes time and organization.. just being realistic. I just think depending on how many ppl partcipate, and I' imagine a few might with 600 attending, 1v1 will take a while. if numbers are high and with several other comps to compete in.. ppl may abstain or drop out of the quake comp to play or practice for others, who would of otherwise joined in. It would suck to have to make a decision between playing in 3rd last round of quake and missing out on hawx comp or something else altogether.

if its a mosh pit then u may have little choice but to take the top however many from a couple of matches in an ffa server then have 1v1 for the finals. then again there might be ample time, but only admins know whats happening and when..

If numbers are small then 1v1 seems like the general consensus

psynapse
sick sick sick.. one of the few games the Netbook i bring to lans the days can play well.
count me in! biggrin.gif

q3dm6 4 life yo :ghettosign:
oohms
Map suggestions for 1v1, out of the stock maps?
pexa
QUOTE (oohms @ Jan 18 2010, 06:13 PM) *

Q3DM13
Q3DM6
Q3Tourney4
Q3Tourney6
Q3Tourney2

They are the best 5 of the stock maps in my humble opinion
GIARUS
QUOTE (pexa @ Jan 19 2010, 09:47 AM) *
QUOTE (oohms @ Jan 18 2010, 06:13 PM) *

Q3DM13
Q3DM6
Q3Tourney4
Q3Tourney6
Q3Tourney2

They are the best 5 of the stock maps in my humble opinion

Any chance u can get screen shots of those maps
Nyarlathotep
QUOTE (pexa @ Jan 16 2010, 09:09 AM) *
QUOTE (Grover @ Jan 16 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Yeah FFA spamfests are not really fun, more frustrating then anything else.
I don't care about prizes or bragging rights, just wanna play some good 1v1 matches, that's what i consider fun.
just cause it isn't a serious comp doesn't mean it has to have stupid rules/maps that just frustrate players that actually want to play.

It's not Quakecon, but this isn't a public FFA server either. This is a comp, of sorts tongue.gif
FFA is the most frustrating uncontrollable experience you can have in any shooter, making all your skill (if any) worth null and void after being killed by some nublet who spawned two steps closer to the only gun in the room then four other people, or the guy who you did 90% damage to runs out of sight and gets killed by some clueless random.. etc. The only "skill" in FFA is counting to 120 when someone takes the Quad.

tl;dr FFA does not favour skill

Admittedly duelling isn't everyone's idea of fun, specially in higher tiers of play. But we'll have enough new players to hopefully average it out. We're going to run this comp by tried and tested methods that have been favoured in competitive and non-competitive play worldwide.

@Giarus: Google is your friend. There's more than enough levelshots in existance
SirSquidness
Rules are now up. http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?sho...c=1087&st=0
GIARUS
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 21 2010, 04:39 PM) *

About time
Nyarlathotep
QUOTE (Hoodlum @ Dec 12 2009, 06:02 AM) *

i'll tell u what.. i'll match respawn dollar for dollar on a small trophy. Call it the quakers cup. if a victorian wins the cup stays with respawn. if a new south welshman wins i take the trophy home, in safe keeping until next qc comp at the end of the year.

Pay up C:
GIARUS
QUOTE (Nyarlathotep @ Jan 25 2010, 03:28 PM) *

Pay up C:

Sorry put i must admit no admin helped organize the quake 3 comp
dead_man
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jan 25 2010, 06:58 PM) *

Pay up C:

well first off he never mentioned anything about the admin team.

2nd we did have a discussion on it and another player offered to organise the comp.

saying that, it will continue in future however some changes will be made with the comp schedule.

-Dead_Man
GIARUS
QUOTE (dead_man @ Jan 25 2010, 08:40 PM) *
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jan 25 2010, 06:58 PM) *

Pay up C:

well first off he never mentioned anything about the admin team.

2nd we did have a discussion on it and another player offered to organise the comp.

saying that, it will continue in future however some changes will be made with the comp schedule.

-Dead_Man

Agreed i had 2 wait for it to start which was annoying
Nyarlathotep
We had to wait til the dead hours on Sunday which was worse tongue.gif

Buttttt shaky start, it'll be better next time, we promise <3
GIARUS
can we make it teams it would be more interesting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape